Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

MTN - taking on water

kwagga
Super Contributor
I think MTN is regretting the day they ever set foot in Nigeria. Warning to any SA entrepreneur that wants to venture into that pit. R71 bil fine??????? Nigeria sucks.
61 REPLIES 61
Vypir
Contributor
If they stick to their guns, they are idiotic. It will hurt MTN badly if not kill them and result in job losses (not so much primary, but definitely in the secondary and even tertiary industries) and loss of tax revenue for Nigeria, not to mention loss of infrastructure...
warhippo
Super Contributor
Everybody has his own pet scares right or wrong. I don't deal with anything that has Nigeria attached to it :) (Apologies if offending anybody)
Rams
Super Contributor
my "valuation" on MTN was 150 odd for long term...will accumulate around that level. 120 will be a "bargain"
Preston
Super Contributor
oyo , Khanna, why you talking like dat!
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
Excellent point. Nigeria is more concerned on plugging the current deficit and they are willing to throw MTN under the bus.
Vypir
Contributor
Yeah, the Oil price is not doing MTN any favours...
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
The fine will be reduced massively and they will continue to make lots money in Nigeria and other markets, bigger issue is why it took management 5 hours to write a 5 line SENS. The news was all over twitter before we opened yesterday. Net result, I sold my MTN yesterday (have held since around 1998 and bought as recently as last month). But I only want to hold shares in which management respect shareholders, evidence here is that MTN management don't.
Preston
Super Contributor
Excellent Twitter reply "consensus is overqualified suits trying to analyze a market with stuff they learnt at university ...always ends in disaster"
kwagga
Super Contributor
Emotional decision to sell, rather than to maybe wait for fact (what will they actually pay). Could even be an opportunity to capitalize on a market overreacting on something that is not cast in stone yet.
Preston
Super Contributor
Not applicable
I do a lot of business with MTN in Nigeria. I doubt anyone can complain about 62m subscribers with ARPU's higher than South Africa. Nigeria made MTN. And I can also tell you that they deserve a lot of what is being metered out here. Their arrogance in Nigeria is astounding, similar to their arrogance in SA. Anyone who uses MTN will know how shocking their network quality is, and their lack of commitment to service quality is going to start to hurt!
Not applicable
does no-one here really notice that no-one here follows a methodology? a few here were talking about I will only sell on fundamental reason A,B,C and then suddenly it changes to I dont like them and emotion so sell.

#"reason why you dont get consistent investors over time"
Preston
Super Contributor
Further downside weakness expected. MTN is "sucking in" all the buyers.
Preston
Super Contributor
@BC01, I was long at the end of yesterday after the rapid fall, sold long for a profit that could buy a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black. Based on the price action I am seeing and I am short at this stage.
Not applicable
Think a lot got sucked in last week:

Most bought stock by foreigners.
https://twitter.com/GaryBooysen/status/658867224028008448
partridge
Super Contributor
The credibility is really the issue - and its in tatters.
Not applicable
100% Someone following a methodology, but Im more referring to the investors in the group. "Fundamental Investors" dont realize that it comes down to whatever story they spin themselves that day.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
not emotional decision to sell at all .. I but outstanding companies with outstanding management .. not good or great, only outstanding .. one of the simply rules that is always in place is outstanding management who have shareholders at the core of their concerns .. taking a day to issue a SENS is not within a mile of outstanding .. I never own companies with second rate management, the way MTN management handled the fine was at best shabby, I don't want shabby managers .. so I out, already utting the money elsewhere, plenty of options
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an this not the first time I sold a co cause the company was slow to keep shareholders up to date .. that all said, price may go higher, maybe way higher, maybe best JSE investment over next year or ten .. I still don't want in