Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Share price falling

moe_1
New Contributor
Why is lonmin Falling so rapidly... Should we hold or get out
10 REPLIES 10
Bouwer
Super Contributor
There is a bit of a discussion on platinum in general in another post, should give some guide lines
Preston
Super Contributor
Moe, Hope this is not another African Bank in the making!!
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Moe, when did you buy the shares? The mining sector has serious issues as of late. Platinum prices have fallen a lot and with the strikes and wage hikes and all these issues lining up, I think these companies are having serious issues to get their heads above water...
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an Glencore ditched their LON, they know way more than we do so why would we want them ??
kwagga
Super Contributor
2012Trader
Occasional Contributor
Don't really look at Lonmin but read somewhere they are in business rescue. Can't confirm that but I'd stay away. The huge up and downs lately in share price is not a good sign.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
They are not in business rescue
Nkhweti_Mozambi
Contributor
I agree, most of the fall is due to falling commodity prices and falling platinum demand from Asian economies. But the speed of the fall may be due to the trauma that investors had from the lonmin marikana story which had resurfaced because of the 6000 job cut. But really, personally I think it is the best time to buy.This is one of those opportunities that come few times in a life time.
kwagga
Super Contributor
They will need to raise capital to fund their debt book. How are they going to do that ? Virtually impossible for them to do it with the current share price and raising capital from it. They could end up having to sell assets at a huge discount in order to stay sustainable. Not a pretty picture. Eskom, the unions, the platinum price, and a hostile government made this a dog company. I'd stay away from this.
Preston
Super Contributor
PIC could fund this. In line with govt nationalization strategy.