Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Steinhoff

Blik2
Contributor

Ouch. That has to be the biggest 1-day-drop for a top 40 company I have seen since I started trading/investing. Einaa.

15 REPLIES 15
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Those that were short on the share have had Xmas early this year. Always found Steinhoff "murky", difficult to read.
mosismoke
Contributor
The question is: Why did they deny it in the first place?
partridge1
Regular Contributor

Goodnite Vienna

would you by a used car from....? Murky, obscure any one of those words will do. But it will likely bounce because Mr Market always overresponds to situations - and here is hoping it is recoverable.

Dr Wiese... not your best partnership I think ? 

Blik2
Contributor

Whats this called - a NAV oxymoron of sorts - not great to be Mr Wiese this morning, down by about 20 billion, but, hey whats all the fuss, then when you are/were worth 58 odd billion...lol.  NOT

partridge1
Regular Contributor

BUT if you buy blind - which at 14bucks is tempting - you have no idea what is actually going on now cos all the key stuff is going to be restated.. 

partridge1
Regular Contributor

Perhaps the better question is Why did the market deny it?

Vince888
Regular Contributor

I Guess for me......It is time to but more!!!

Vince888
Regular Contributor

meant buy more!!!

partridge1
Regular Contributor

So here is how I see it they are going to sell off some non  -core businesses (?) and then refinance debt in Star owing to Steinhoff whic the notice says they

will do at better rates (!!!!!)  ( which kind of asks and answers a question - do you wnat to ever

be involved in incestuous companies where the main share holders treat it like a private company - like some inglorious example of co- dependency - except they are using your and my money?)

I see no reason to rush in. I suspect that trading will not be good for their international operations - at least not stellar. Secondly the nwxt CEO ? Strikes me that only after next half yearly will one have a clear(er) picture. 

I am glad I was underweight.  NOT so some asset managers.........ouch!!

partridge1
Regular Contributor
stick with the "but" protem?
Blik2
Contributor

Got this from Sanlam yesterday:

Steinhoff sum-of-the-parts valuation excluding European operations

ZAR/share

Steinhoff Africa Retail

PSG Group

KAP Industrial

Total listed assets

SA Automotive

Mattress Firm acquisition

Poundland acquisition

Other 2016 acquisitions

Total excluding European operations

European operations' value based on last official information

Household goods operations

Supply chain operations

Property

Worst-case German JV court case (EUR1.9bn)

(6.34)

Potential further fines EUR2.0bn

(6.67)

Net debt & minorities estimate at 30 September '17

(11.97)

Total value before discount

Less 20% conglomerate discount

(11.62)

Less 20% credibility discount

(11.62)

Total group value under bear-case scenario

Is this a classic value trap building?

prancing_horse
Super Contributor

Vince, hope you still got your shirt on. It would appear that this fire is spreading and everyone is getting very jittery, EOH took a bit of a bath this afternoon. Great movement in price without any SENS,........ insiders maybe?

Vince888
Regular Contributor

Steinhoff was me biggest holding.....Ouch I admit. I think market over reacts to everything. Yes I do think it is a serious problem for Steinhoff and I do not believe it is another african bank.When all is revealed and the dust has settled, I will buy more. Look at Pinnacle with the bribery saga and got sold off. It recovered and many said it will never recover. Alviva is now sitting on R18 and if I remember correctly it dropped from about R24 to below R5.

Will wait patiently until audited financials are released. May wait even until the 2018 interims, but will nibble on Steinhoff. Not all is lost.

partridge1
Regular Contributor

its rough out there - up and down - you know the metaphor. Buffet was right It was run by an idiot. Work with me on this Vince - you said it was your biggest holding and now you are increrasing the risk by wanting to buy more- just go and watch the 7's much more productive - this is a day traders dream  NE TOUCHE PAS - for me.....  

Mr_Money
Regular Contributor

My valuation for SNH is R4 , 4 bucks a  share. Taking into account all risks and the  possibe fines still to come.