Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

The price of Gold watches

partridge
Super Contributor
On a recent visit to the big smoke( obnoxious ostentation its hallmark - but strangely engaging people ) I dropped in to a leading watchmaker to find out what it would cost to service my JleC watch. R7000.00. I also was told that to replace it with the latest version - simple gold dress watch , no complications, would amount to R181 000.00. So as I look at the price of CFR - 23% down ytd, I am thinking that my position is calling to be added to. If these guys are not bombproof asking prices like that and surviving then I don't know - and so I shall keep an eye on the price... As for this Brexit - well I was wrong - fortunately not alone - if there is any solace in that , its more than obvious to me that with 70% of Developed nation sovereign bonds yielding less than 1% ( are people crazy playing musical chairs like this?) the money is going to find homes - but those homes are going to change -because this is going to be like crossing the north sea on an ironing board
10 REPLIES 10
partridge
Super Contributor
or if you like GBP 9000.00.
Vince
Contributor
I've had this share for a long time. It just doesn't seem to wanna move. 2 steps forward 4 step back kind of deal!!
klapka
Super Contributor
I read a report from Switzerland recently that the sale of luxury watches was down and dropping. Then I had reason to speak to my ex who is with Cisco in San Jose. She said that nearly all the young, rich tech guys and girls she knows no longer wear luxury watches or any watches. They don't wear Apple watches either but that is another subject. I am wondering if there is not a trend away from the fashion of displaying wealth?
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
Watches are like razors...on the way out! Gillette must wonder - what happened ??? That business was amazing in its day - hardly any youngsters shave anymore and seldom daily.
koos2
Super Contributor
i about to get weird at the pub, you?
Russ
Super Contributor
koos2, if you are still sober, I would be interested to know what is your favourite drink?
Russ
Super Contributor
The_Trader
Frequent Contributor
Russ you're still asking. It's Rum and Coke for koos2
partridge
Super Contributor
In reply to Klapka and others. The point is that there is , it seems , very little price/volume drag in this market - in other words price is not a determinant of sales- given the target market who are relatively untouched by market turmoil. The idea that watches could be in terminal decline lacks support. Extended evidence is needed to justify that view - not natural market inclines and declines. Frankly I would be in mild shock if the sales of luxury watches was rising in these times? it just would not be logical for that to happen.
klapka
Super Contributor
Yes I was not referring to any definitive research just general comment. I did chuckle at the phrase "Swiss watchmakers' sales plunge 3.3%." One person's plunge is not the same as another, I guess?