Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

Community

Share knowledge. Find answers. Ask questions.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

The "dawn" of a new era?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

If you asked me when I was last in a CNA - I would be lying if I could remember .

Yet here we have Astoria together with others buying 167 branches and taking on 1000 plus staff. Okay, the debt stays with Edcon- but what on earth can one make of a business which seems to be nothing in particualr to anybody AND which seems to have forgotten that we live in a digital world- but  - perhaps, you say, the new business owners will have a brilliant plan to ensure a success? Well, if they do, this will be the outsider who wins the Grand National - and , yes outsiders do win it - but you can count their success on the fingers of one hand, and I suspect the chances of success here are about the same.

And then there is the small matter of discipline in capital allocation. Is this really an example of that - or what it looks like - a value trap?.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Part 2?

I have by dint of disguising myself a la Maigret ( - but which means a hat pulled down low over my eyes and the discomfort of a trench coat - both of which will likely contribute to me mishearing) - "heard"  that

the limit on the financial exposure is real ( perhaps the previous experience taught them  a lesson ?) So it could mean that while shareholders will not be stonking up more cash - the only issue

remains : is this still a distraction?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
And , apologies, of course "stonking" should read "stumping" - but I will settle for stonking returns
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Partridge, your thread title is rather apt now, don't you think.....

0 Kudos