Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Thoughts on MTN going forward

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yip Hali it has become a great range trading stock for those that trade stocks (which I don't) ..
partridge
Super Contributor
Now , now children, play nicely. What puzzles me is the following: If this company had been properly run then this mess would not have happened. But it clearly wasn't and what is also probable - if not completely certain - is that there will be other financial impairments and/or skeletons in the cupboard. And until the new broom actually takes up office - not tomorrow BTW - there is no way of telling how bad the total impairments will be. Short term trade, long term "avoid" until there is much more clarity.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yip partridge , exactly what I been saying since 24 Oct last year ..
Preston
Super Contributor
At best, I will adopt a "Neutral" stance on this stock. Will be a buyer from R108 to R119.
Rams
Super Contributor
i think they have managed the crisis well, including hiring new management. But if you investing, you not investing in managers, but telecoms: qustion is,is that a space you want to be invested in. If yes,then MTN below 120 is a reasonable buy.
koos2
Super Contributor
Such fun! handbags und lipsticks at 1700.
Preston
Super Contributor
kokkie
Contributor
See what the international guys think about the situation in our beloved Africa. http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/nigeria-mtn-bungled-regulation/
koos2
Super Contributor
Query: what other jse listed can give exposure to gdp$ 490 in afrique? , even fools dad gota get lucky sometimes, e.g. some members this forum, so id est "timing".
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
If MTN could get a "distributed" banking model rolled out into Africa - that would be interesting! I will carry (and trade) 10 000 of these things in the hope of development along those lines.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
OR Rolled out into the middle East etc. for that matter.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
rams you are absolutely investing in management .. ask yourself how they managed to 'lose' USD1.6billion .. wasn't the sector it was management
Rams
Super Contributor
yes, agree, but management has been changed. Was that not how Buffet found value, by having a say in management because of the large sharehlding in those "undervalued" companies.
Not applicable
I take it you mean which other company can give you exposure to the Nigerian economy? There are lots (some listed properties, Clover, Nampak, Aspen and Shoprite). The question I think which is more relevant is what other company can give you heavily geared exposure to Nigeria - MTN has a hangofa lot of exposure there.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
clover pulled out of Nigeria if I recall
Rams
Super Contributor
who said to the Queen that Nigeria is fantastically corrupt?
Preston
Super Contributor
Preston
Super Contributor
Preston
Super Contributor
Rams
Super Contributor
yes, and thats what his leave colleagues are saying about the EU