Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Time to start buying ! (?)

THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Notwithstanding the issues in the UK. A 5% Dividend yield in the UK's lower interest rate (or steady for longer) environment makes this a quasi bond stock. UKP4,05 NAV and trading at UKP2,8. Lower rates going forward will serve to expand her NAV further. The weak Pound means that the replacement cost on these centres is ratcheting up daily. Within 2 years - 20% of her centres will be in Spain in any case.. Time to pinch my nose and take the plunge!
19 REPLIES 19
Preston
Super Contributor
Threshold, are you going INTU the eye of brexit storm?
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Have to start sometime. I realise this is a bit of a falling knife thing - but (I) The ZAR is strong (ii) The UKP is weak(iii) UK property has been about the hardest hit sector on that market (iv) I am hoping that the yield will buoy the value. R48 for probably R75+ of UK prime property.
Preston
Super Contributor
Time frame for this investment?
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Took 100 shares + 20 on CFD - cheaper to trade. The CFD's... I'll see. The rest. "Forever" inasmuch as that ever applies.
Preston
Super Contributor
You should be fine. I guess today was the best time to capitalise on a weak Pound.
suki
Super Contributor
its a big no no for me.
Not applicable
right idea, wrong company, in my opinion. These guys appear leveraged to the hilt. They are adequately capitalised right now, but have already hinted at a capital raising exercise, coupled with partnerships for their malls. So I suspect that dividend yield to get watered down somewhat, and you will be held to a rights issue - if you trust them enough to involve you in the capital raising exercise (REIT's have a poor track record in this space). Capco is my UK property fund of choice, if I was to invest (which I am not right now, waiting for the pound dust to settle a bit first.
Not applicable
right idea, wrong company, in my opinion. These guys appear leveraged to the hilt. They are adequately capitalised right now, but have already hinted at a capital raising exercise, coupled with partnerships for their malls. So I suspect that dividend yield to get watered down somewhat, and you will be held to a rights issue - if you trust them enough to involve you in the capital raising exercise (REIT's have a poor track record in this space). Capco is my UK property fund of choice, if I was to invest (which I am not right now, waiting for the pound dust to settle a bit first.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
We had it out about these two before, you and I Padner (as Peter Sellers would say,)I didn't like Capco At R100 (or whatever it was back then) and I still don't! Of course Intu Is leveraged (and not that badly by UK standards) - she is a REIT! That is her model. CAPCO will struggle to raise capital in this environment and any need to raise capital or offload projects in order to remain sufficiently liquid. CAPCO is all in London and mostly undelivered. Intu Is in Spain, a bit the U.S. And Another bit in India. her model is exportable and inflation adjustable (winthin reason.) CAPCO is captive to the city of London, has no meaningful revenue stream to satisfy her rollout and must rely on unit sales to subsidize this. These units have collapsed in price.) CAPCO is a non-starter. She also has barely any dividend (none for the next while, I'll wager.) to defend her valuation. If she crashes to R20 or so - I'll take a couple of hundred thousand shares; until then- you can keep her!
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
SKAAP - what a mess this Rand is. Mucking up my hedges but I am scared to death of getting out of all of them since all it takes is one comment from his lordship - or for the world to focus on our bunt-out varsities or a recession or a commodity retracement or... That looming threat of downgrade to materialize...
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
BTW That should read "INTU is ALSO in..."
Russ
Super Contributor
oy vey! Reading the charts I see a bounce in gbp-zar to about 18.05 and then slowly down to about 15.00 over time. That will be the time to take money offshore or mortgage the farm and buy rand hedges. It might take another 18-24 months however.
Russ
Super Contributor
A buy divergence on the monthly chart will be the sign as it was in 2003 and 2010.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
So bad it's driven you to Yiddish to fully express the outlook!
Russ
Super Contributor
hehe! with the gbp-zar inching closer to my target I suggest traders start considering the possibility that this rand-hedge fest might not last much longer. If you believe, as I do, that the fall-out from the Gordhan summons might peter out soon (3 day rule and all that), then this might be the time to start thinking about rand-hedge shorts. Some that have caught my eye are mnd, spp, bti and nhm.Just a thought!
Russ
Super Contributor
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
As long as you aren't still short AGL! I don't short and I will NEVER short a quality Rand hedge! You trader types can play that crazy game!
Russ
Super Contributor
I am not short agl or bil but I would wait for a decent pullback to get back into them (long).They are very overbought. Ideally I would like to see them close the gap that was opened on 28-29 Sept, but I think they look very good long-term.
partridge
Super Contributor
I have yet to come across an asset managaer these days - other than an asset manager managing property - ( surprise ) who is talking about this sector with entusiasm. World property stocks do not repeat do not keep on moving up.....US stocks Japan and all the rest - So I sold RIPL because it has a B and C class portfoio - and a good yeild - why because who will put more money into that? No- one with even a partial brain function.It has a predominence of B and C Class properties ( Look at the yeild the SA invetors cry - rather than asking WHY is the yeild looking the way it does? Too much emotion around the sector... I bought CAPCO at 12 - ITS STILL ridiculously priced at half its recent price...!!