Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Whats happening to Resilient?

Brainware
Frequent Contributor
Does anyone know why Resilient price is going down? I cant find any news
5 REPLIES 5
Not applicable
Well, they are sitting with a double whammy. Their SA portfolio is geared towards middle and low income earners, outside of major cities. So quality stock, considering the base they traded off. But Mr Price' results should have fired a warning shot across the bow's - all is not well in the South Africa consumer space - especially in that LSM range (did we even need MPC to confirm this?). So SA property companies are heavily dependent on retail spend, because they make money off a turnover tax. Reduced spend = reduced income. Now comes the second part - their offshore investments are also taking a hit, in rand terms, because of rand strengthening. Couple this with a bet on their side that the rand was going the other way (they announced that they had hedged their foreign portfolio) - and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which way the share price is going to go.
Brainware
Frequent Contributor
Thanks So could that also be for all listed property with overseas exposure? and/or local retail exposure?
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
skaap, agree but MRP also being killed by competition ..
Not applicable
@Brainware - I am a big listed property fan. They have the perfect business model, in my opinion. I don't like Resilient, to be honest. I don't need to buy into a local fund to get exposure to international funds. I prefer to do my own portfolio spread. S
Brainware
Frequent Contributor
Thank you, Skaaptjop I will check those ones as well