Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Woolies down almost 25% in 3 months

moneybunny
Contributor
Hi everybody, Can someone please explain to me why Woolworth's is down almost 25% in the last 3 months and why it seems to want to keep going down. I understand that all retailers have been hit recently, and I know their interim results aren't that good but this appears to be about something else? best regards
7 REPLIES 7
kwagga
Super Contributor
Well, for one it was overpriced at it's all time high. Secondly they are experiencing lower growth forecasts.
geordie1
Super Contributor
Australia business looking more problematic than predicted??
partridge
Super Contributor
Its always the case that when SA corporate goes abroad it puffs out its proverbial chest and says "we can do it". But then the gloomsayers back in SA will almost without fail(?) overstate problems - and over sell stocks - but that is perhaps just Mr Market? - its all rather like Sasol - gloom and doom when they set up their refinery( whatever ) in the ME - "they will never get this right" or MEdICLINIC - another screaming oversell - the entire upside has been written off since the reverse listing - or so much of it as makes no difference to the statement. I love the decline - a good time to buy more assuming your sector and weighting stuff is okay... Problem is I think this market is chasing pockets of value - and that is just impatience
moneybunny
Contributor
Thanks for that, information. Yes I must agree them buying in Australia didn't appeal to me much. I also thought that at R106 it was heavily overpriced, and believed that around R80 - R90 would be its max for value. What got me was the fact that it dropped so quickly and by so much, I thought I might be missing something major. Once again thanks for you insight. best regards.
partridge
Super Contributor
You flatter me - that was not insight - it was just a ramble. the Oz story will be the make or break next 12 months - I am sure others have views on that
partridge
Super Contributor
You flatter me - that was not insight - it was just a ramble. the Oz story will be the make or break next 12 months - I am sure others have views on that
partridge
Super Contributor
Read (if you haven't the last) ost analyst report - when it was bumbling along in the mid 80'a in AUGUST - a buy with a TP of R99.00 - BUT the issue is that OZ will really only deliver in FY19.00...etc