Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

definition of a volatile market

Not applicable
yep - that is fine if it works for you. But you have to ask the forum for targets to validate your trade, and you report that you are getting nervous. That is emotion talking, and emotion is the killer in trading.
Rams
Super Contributor
i agree, technical indicators may be irrelevant and risk/reward is probably the only item that matters. the problem is that the risk and reward part then is a guess....
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it is a guess with or without technicals .. esp if you believe that TA has no proven value except one .. the only benefit of TA is that it gives courage to enter a trade as few can do as skaap does and just trade on 'gut' for want of a phrase
Hali
Super Contributor
To be honest the only reason i ask for guidance is my technical analysis is lacking..I need reassurance when it comes to chart levels etc..I take the advice and see myself if its correct..i dont go blindly
indium
Contributor
The positive price movement yesterday may have been as upside surprise on R8,30 dividend plus forward guidance on R7 div for FY16. I believe that Nigeria fine may surprise to upside (worse) as resolution has not yet been reached and govt short of cash. For me as an investor I am happy as the dividend compensates for this uncertainty in the longer term. Lots of pain was taken in the results which allows for future HEPS growth and therefore I stay long. I would not trade as fine outcome either higher or lower is a pure guess and not a viable trading strategy as pure luck if you call it right. If fine is larger than provision share price will dip lower in short run + when share goes ex div at end of March. On a R7 div for FY16 it is fine to ride out this uncertain time but it will be a volatile ride no doubt. I just leave and forget in top drawer.
Not applicable
Simon, I might trade on gut - but it doesn't mean I don't have rules. I have spent years backtesting systems and I can say 2 statements of fact. 1) A random entry will yield exactly the same statistical result as any filter out there. 2) you have to take profit. I have tested virtually every trailing system out there (chandelier stops, SAR, channel's, ATR, you name it) - they all perform dismally versus simply taking profit. Even the most famous trading system out there (the turtles) which was absolutely mechanical, relied on gut (or discretion) on the instruments they chose to trade.
Rams
Super Contributor
and that "gut" has to come from somewhere ,is your "gut" based on news, technicals, fundamentals??? inborn instinct, learned instinct or just PRICE.
Preston
Super Contributor
@skaap, what happens when your system and your "gut" is not in sync?
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure, an gut was poor choice of word
Preston
Super Contributor
@simon, Suggestion for Justonelap--->. Book reviews, like the one you did, when you were at SBK.
Hali
Super Contributor
Is that not also the defination of gambling?
Hali
Super Contributor
Is that not also the defination of gambling?
Not applicable
@Preston - then I get stopped out, what is the problem?
Not applicable
@Preston - then I get stopped out, what is the problem?
Preston
Super Contributor
@skaap, No problem, just trying to understand RAMS and your holy grail system. If it consistently making cash with minimum slippage cost then I guess that trading style suits your personality. Different stroke for different folks. Kwagga and I have simil
Not applicable
@Hali - well done - you have hit the crux of the matter. Trading is gambling pure and simple. Both are fundamentally stochastic, meaning the outcome is unpredictable. With one fundamental difference. Markets are biased to the long side. We have an edge i
Preston
Super Contributor
@skaap, No problem, just trying to understand RAMS and your holy grail system. If it consistently making cash with minimum slippage cost then I guess that trading style suits your personality. Different stroke for different folks. Kwagga and I have simil
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Controlled chaos with a good measure of trepidation and unbridled self-doubt. This mixed with daily bouts of depression, bipolar swings and Woody Allen-esque levels of angst. Seriously - I am not a true trader - I only buy shares that I like - even for a trade; or at the very least shares with the underlying fundamentals to justify a price move to the upside. I have long given up on the ordinary trading techniques of strict stop losses et al. If everyone is doing it - where is the competitive edge and why should it work for me? I also believe that if the funds are too limited - you are on a hiding to nothing. My minimum position size is R200k.