Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Honoring fee

8 REPLIES 8
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Hi @Paper.

Thank you for reaching out.

An honouring fee is a fee charged for using your card when you do not have enough available funds for the transaction.

An honouring fee is charged when you swipe your card and the merchant debits your account for a transaction that occurred days, weeks, or months ago.

Under "narrative" (description of transactions), for a delayed transaction, it’ll tell you the exact date of the transaction.

Should you be suspicious? You’re welcome to get in touch with our fraud team on 0800 222 050.

If you want to dispute the transaction, kindly share your email address, and we will share the form with you.

To avoid being charged an honouring fee, please download our banking app or cellphone banking and always check your account balance.

Mainly focus on the available balance, as it is a direct reflection of what is available for you to use.

This way, it’ll make things a little bit easier to keep track of all your transactions.

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Standard Bank Team

Paper
Money just went out of my account and it says honouring fee😭😭, I’ve been seeing it a lot and thought it was something else but now it’s too much
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Good morning Tebogo10. 

Thank you for reaching out.

An honouring fee is a fee charged for using your card when you do not have enough available funds for the transaction.

An honouring fee is charged when you swipe your card and the merchant debits your account for a transaction that occurred days, weeks, or months ago.

Under "narrative" (description of transactions), for a delayed transaction, it’ll tell you the exact date of the transaction.

Should you be suspicious? You’re welcome to get in touch with our fraud team on 0800 222 050.

If you want to dispute the transaction, kindly share your email address, and we will share the form with you.

To avoid being charged an honouring fee, please download our banking app or cellphone banking and always check your account balance.

Mainly focus on the available balance, as it is a direct reflection of what is available for you to use.

This way, it’ll make things a little bit easier to keep track of all your transactions.

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Standard Bank Team

Tebogo10
New Contributor
I've also being charged honoring fee of R104 I don't know what for 😭😭😭
Tebogo10
New Contributor
I've also being charged honoring fee of R104 I don't know what for .
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Hi @nkosi123.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

This requires us to conduct some investigations.

Please reach out to us in the following way, along with your ID number and contact details:

• Email [email protected],
  • Contact us at StandardBankZA on Twitter.
  • Standard Bank in South Africa has a Facebook page.

We hope to hear from you so we can assist.

Regards

Fana.

Standard Bank Team

nkosi123
Good morning

My name is Nkosinathi Nkinqa. I have a problem of being charged for honouring fee by Standard Bank for no clear reasons. As far as i know , the honouring fee is the amount of money that is supposed to be charged for performing a transaction while there is not enough money on my card. Since i started doing international transactions , i never made any purchase without having enough money on my card. I always have a little bit of change remaining on my card after i have done my transactions. But a few days or a week later Standard Bank charge me exorbitant amount called " Honouring Fee ". Even now , they have charged me honouring fee for receiving payment from my broker. Why should i continue to use Standard Bank for my banking when there is so much fraud going on at Standard Bank ?. I had just paid R282.00 for the so-called honouring fee a week ago. Yet there transaction that i did was less than the money i had in my account. Again now , i must pay another R135.00 for receiving payment from my broker. This is too much. It is time that i should consult the banking Ombudsman regarding this matter. This has happened 3 times now. Earlier on last last year , Standard Bank took R162.00 from my account for honouring fee , yet i had enough money on my card for the transaction.
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Hi @Anathi2.

Please be advised that honouring fee is a charge for using your account without enough available funds on your account or delayed banked card transactions that are banked while you do not have enough available funds.

Please view your statement and cheque your card purchases for the same amount you were charged the honouring fee, check if you had enough funds to accommodate the card purchases when they were swiped or banked.

Kind regards,

Fana.

Anathi2
A sum of R79 was deducted from my account any I had a positive balance I do not know why the deduction was made