Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

Community

Share knowledge. Find answers. Ask questions.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Trading irritation in uncertain times

Highlighted
Contributor

I do not trade a lot.  I very rarely trade with gearing.  Over the past 11 years since I started keeping a trading diary, I have made more "winning" trades than losing trades - not by much, but still I am up in terms of % trades sold in the green.  My trading portfolio, however, is down.  This is due to two rather large losing trades.  The first I neglected to set a stop loss, and the second (I'll admit, I tried a small scalp when SNH was plummeting) the price fell way through my stop loss.

But what really irritates me, is my last losing trade two days ago.  I have owned and watch SPAR for almost 20 years now.  I keep track of its price and value according to limits that suit me. So for me, when SPP drops into a PE range around 14, it starts to creep into value territory - for me - given its historical range.  So when SPP started to drop into this range on around the 5th March, I thought I would take a small long trading position, and set a reasonably conservative trailing stop loss of 15%.  A Covid-19 buy, so to speak.  I bought in at 16900, and had a target exit of around 18500, and i thought this fair given that its ranged up to 20000 recently.  Anyway I got stopped out when SPP dropped on Friday 13th (go figure).  Theory is I should be happy that I didnt lose all.  Problem is, I still think there was or is value there, and lo and behold today, the price has been hitting the mid 18000s.

Ok - so this is irritating for me, because my value theory seems correct (up to today at least), but my stop loss was too tight (15%!!!), so my system needs adjusting....and the big adjustment I need to make is that I MUST NOT TRADE ANYTHING DURING UNCERTAIN TIMES!!!! Clearly no matter whether I think a share or index might be value and a buy, I need to stay clear until there is very clear direction (I read Simon's blogs, but clearly dont absorb his rules)....lol.

Anyway.....

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I thought uncertainty was the fuel of tradingSmiley Happy  - what is clear beyond clear is that stuff will respond to any news - it doesn't matter how relevant or irrelevant - and then at the bottom of all this

is value - and clearly there are areas of value to be had  - which in "normal(?)" times people would be falling over each other to buy - but that all goes out the door - when irrationality sets in.

So I am buying slowly more - with a real target date for action mid April . But if someone discovers that the treatment for Ebola - same range of disease apparently - helps mitigate the period for recovery -

then the flood of money will come back - very quickly. And once the rate of expansion becomes linear ..ditto.

If a quality company loses a years income - so what ? They will survive - and they will buy up over borrowed but quality businesses. But you say - the bankers will close down stuff/businesses? What is the point viewed from their perspective to foreclose

- what are they going to do with the assets ? So they won't and  - Smiley Happy that does not detract from the first point  Anyway I am off to buy lavatory paper. if I can find it!  

0 Kudos