Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Cross Border Letters

1. When do I need a Cross Border Letter?
  • Whenever your vehicle is travelling outside the borders of South Africa.

2. How do I request a Cross Border Letter on the app?
  • From the home screen of the app, tap on your VAF tile to retrieve a more detailed view of the account.
  • Scroll down to view the Cross Border Letter insight card.
  • Tap on ‘Apply’ to start the Cross Border Letter request process.

3. What information must I provide to the Bank when requesting a Cross Border Letter?

You will need to supply:

• Details of your trip, including departure and return date, country/ies you will visit, etc.
  • Proof of Comprehensive Insurance document

4. What is a Proof of Comprehensive Insurance document?
  • To travel across the border, you need a letter from your insurance company (not older than seven days) to confirm that your vehicle will have comprehensive cover while travelling abroad.

5. What if someone else is using my vehicle on the trip?

Make sure you send us the following documents of the person that you are authorising to drive the vehicle:

• Copy of ID
  • Copy of valid driver’s licence
  • Letter from your insurance company stating that the nominated driver will be comprehensively covered while travelling abroad.

6. What is a copy NaTIS certificate?
  • If the vehicle is financed with Standard Bank, the copy NaTIS certificate always accompanies the Cross Border Letter.
  • The NaTIS certificate serves as proof of the vehicle owner (you) and the titleholder (the Bank) to the border authorities.
  • In an effort to reduce fraud, the Copy NaTIS certificate is greyscale with the text “COPY” embedded as a watermark.

7. How will the Bank receive my Cross Border Letter request?
  • Once you have submitted your request for a Cross Border Letter, a request email is generated and submitted to the Bank’s VAF Customer Contact Centre’s mailbox, i.e. [email protected]
  • See an example of this request email below.
  • One of our agents will contact you to remind you of the required documentation you need to submit to us so that we can process your request.

8. What if the agent cannot get hold of me to remind me of the required documentation for my Cross Border Letter?
  • Once you have submitted your request for a Cross Border Letter, a request received confirmation email is generated and submitted to the email address we have on record for you.
  • This email clearly explains what document(s) you need to send to us.

9. Where do I send the supporting documents to the Bank?

10. Do I need to quote a reference number when I email the Bank my documents to acquire my Cross Border Letter?
  • Yes, please quote your VAF account/deal number as it appears in the Cross Border Letter request receipt confirmation email you will receive from us.

11.When should I send the documentation for my Cross Border Letter to the Bank?
  • Three business days before your departure date.

12. What can I expect from the Bank once my Cross Border Letter request has been processed?
  • We will send you the Cross Border Letter and a copy of your NaTIS certificate.

13. When will I receive my Cross Border Letter?
  • One business day after we received your documents.

14. How will the Bank send my Cross Border Letter to me?
  • We will email the cross border letter and copy NaTIS certificate to the email address we have on record for you. You will receive the email from [email protected].

15. Who do I contact when I need VAF support?

16. Who do I contact when I need VAF support?

Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎28-02-2019 04:51 PM
Updated by:

Comments
Vanessa1965

I am requesting a bank cofirmatio letter please

MandyP
Community Coordinator

Hello @Vanessa1965,

Please be advised that you can get the confirmation letter on the mobile banking app making use of the below steps:

• Log onto the app and tap on the tile which shows your account details and balance,
  • Scroll down to "Your documents" and tap on "View",
  • Under "Bank letters", you'll see "Bank account confirmation letter",
  • When you tap the 3 dots next to "Bank account confirmation letter", you will get and option to either download or send the document as an email.

Regards,

Mandy