Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Welcome and get started

Discover your community and let us know what you think

Gumtree Scam

Thembile19902
Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,
I have been scammed by someone on gumtree who claimed to have a place I can rent, I posted an ad saying I need a place to rent. I trusted the person and yes it was stupid. I paid a deposti for him to keep the place for me only for him to keep making excuses if my friend from Pretoria said he'd go check out the place. He refused to send an address of the place. I told him I wanted my money back then since he didn't want my friend to check the place. That was two weeks ago and he still hasn't refunded me my money. I have opened a case against him with the police. But they said they really have nothing to go on as this person might have bought a sim card from the street and he probably has closed his bank account with capitec. But a guy from gumtree said If I take a copy of my affidavit to standard bank they might be able to assist. Anyone who's ever faced something like this please tell me, did the bank help? I just need to find out before I go there and not get help.