Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

2016 is COMING..!!!

Not applicable
Hi Guys Please share with me best and worst of 2015 Im new to share trading and already had it bad with LON so please help me make better choices in 2016 Thanks!!
31 REPLIES 31
Vince888
Regular Contributor
Hi Youngmoney. What was your main reason in buying Lonmin in the first place?
Not applicable
Well at the time i was a silly girl to put it in a nutshell!!! I thought that they about to make its way up Little did i realise that soon after that they went completely down n then to top it off my 322 shares became 3 shares!!! Dont really understand wat happened..
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
Phone OST trading desk, speak to Grant , if he is still available. He is extremely helpful and will take the time to explain to you. He is a Good man.
striker
Super Contributor
The most important advice I can give you is to sit tight and wait for the sizable market correction that is coming our way. All indicators point toward a bear market trend in 2016. Keep yourself liquid and wait for the buying opportunities - exercise extreme caution and patience. The first big correction is not usually the last and markets will drift lower and lower throughout most of 2016. My advice would be to target those shares that are ZAR proof - companies with a vast majority of their operations offshore and their income in hard currencies. Without wishing to give you investment advice, in my opinion gold shares are looking attractive, in particular SGL and ANG.
orange68
Super Contributor
hello young money have a look at simons website justonelap.com he has momentum portfolios etc to help you start off pehaps and other videos to help you with share selection to avoid those companies that are a pain
koos2
Super Contributor
jirre my ou, you just had a 22.9% correction of your money. Just stop feeding people ***** 'bout 2016.
striker
Super Contributor
Franksays
Frequent Contributor
Couldnt agree with Orange more. Ignore the tv, radio and the opinions of others. Go to justonelap . co. za and theres heaps of free resources to help you get started. Been with OST myself for over 10 years now and still here. The only thing thats changed is the names over the years on the forums, although there are some familiar ones. The opinions are still largely the same. Many people blew out waiting for things to come right. Havent seen them back.
Preston
Super Contributor
@Franksays, is not the heaps of resources on Justonelap, the opinion of someone? You clearly state to ignore the opinion of people.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
If you need to ask forumites for advice, rather buy an offshore unit trust or market tracker. If you are trying to learn to trade - there are very good books on the topic which offer an integrated and holistic approach - right or wrong... this has to be better than taking haphazard, piecemeal, and often conflicting advice from a slew of unknown nom de plumes!
Preston
Super Contributor
conflicting advice from a slew of unknown nom de plumes is one of the characteristic for a market to function efficiently. For every seller, his belief system is that price will not go higher, yet for every buyer,his belief system ,however conflicting, is that price will eventually will go higher.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Not related to the issue here. Advice is only as good as the source. When the source is unknowable - where does that leave you? They are asking for guidance from our discordant, motley crew.
Preston
Super Contributor
guidance from our discordant, motley crew is backed up by his/her trading system that has earned them income/money. Guys, then needs to evaluate the substance of advice to their output of their trading system and ask the appropriate questions. I recently took a bet with a member of this forum, that a certain share will not drop to a desired level. At the time of the bet, the forum member (whom i have the utmost respect for) indicate that odds was against me. For me, the bet was to evaluate the merits of my trading systems to his, thus far, odds seems to be in my favour.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
This is a beginner who wants advice. Frankly - nobody knows what anybody is doing on this forum. Do they display all of their trades - warts and all - or just the winners. How long has their approach been consistent? Has it always worked? What is their constant (other) income? What is their net worth? Tax position - assessed loss to consume etc? Without controlling for all of these variables - all of this free advice is worth just that - nothing! It's a fun place to compare notes - but learning a skill requires a more orderly approach. Look - we're having fun with this issue which has nothing to do with the question per se... but is probably more meaningful than some spurious mal-sourced advice for someone who just bought a R60 position in LONMIN!
Galuc
Super Contributor
here is my 2 cents worth and it has worked well for me even in difficult trading climate. Firstly, 30k should be in tax free account on a dbxus tracker or similar. Secondly the 90% of my capital I use Riete Koetse trading system it is simple and buying winners is just the way to go. Thirdly keep a small amount for those "itch" buys like Lon
striker
Super Contributor
Well sorry Threshold if we don't all match your levels of intelligence and profound invest knowledge. Some of us have been around some time and are entitled to offer advice to a newbie when we are asked to do so.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
? You are missing the point - I AM offering advice - and it goes something like this: This "newbie" is showing such an utter lack of knowledge that "he/she" is clearly NOT in a position to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to the advice spewed at "him/her" (mostly rubbish advice - since that makes a market.) They should show some respect for their capital and pursue a less damaging approach to learning the market. Certainly - they should move a little further along the knowledge curve before venturing into live trading! Call it "tough love" if you will. I think this advice should be posted above the CHAT forum like Dante's Inferno "Abandon all hope..."
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
AND - I think that a lot of the advice offered is effectively self-aggrandizement - self-publishing on a micro scale - and has nothing to do with a genuine effort to help. What is more - there are legal prohibitions against offering "investment" ADVICE - which apply doubly to those that are qualified in a related field and, ironically, whose advice may actually be worth a dam*! I am not trying to make enemies Striker - I just feel that it falls to "Someone" to say something. Politeness is all very well and good - but I fear it will be financially destructive for most "newbies." I knew I was inviting a response such as yours when I first responded "thusly," as the Americans love to say! am just surprised it took so long!
striker
Super Contributor
Your comments are no less 'self aggrandising ' than anybody else's. Over time I have observed your predilection for chastising and disparaging remarks toward others and their views on this forum. A little less pretentiousness might come in handy.