Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

2016 is COMING..!!!

TAKR
Contributor
IÂ’m in it for the long haul 10-15 years and let it be said IÂ’m and absolute novice at this, so the way I have been doing it is, I have built a portfolio over time albeit a shortish time. I will give you an example. I started 4 years ago with a foundation of BAT, COH, EOH, AFT, CIL, FBR, GPL, MPC, SOL, OML, SFH. TAS, PSG. Then 3 years ago I added NPN, REI and 2 years ago WHL, 12 months ago I sold SOL, TASTE, PSG, GPL and CIL and bought RFG, PGR and ACG and now ADH. That in a nutshell is the buying and selling of my complete portfolio for the last 4 years. I donÂ’t know anything about trading so from a noviceÂ’s position in my opinion, building a portfolio and accumulating shares over time is the way to go. Filter most of the this forum bul***** out, and work your own planÂ…Â…Happy Investing in 2016. Ps stay away from LONÂ…Â…Â…Â…LOL
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
I never claimed otherwise. At least I acknowledge it! I tell you what - when you stop calling for a crash - I'll consider stoppig commenting on silly posts! Your endless theme is tedious in the extreme. The Rand has already crashed and is far from done - what do you have to say to that! You advice goes something like this: "Don't buy quality hedges - sit in you Rands and rot while you try to time the market!" I respect the amount of consideration that went into this response (for a change)... but If that's the sum of it...
AP
Regular Contributor
My share investment strategy that served me well since 2013 when I've started for the first time: 1. Develop simple strategy to identify good shares to buy and also identify point to sell. Simply stick to strategy 2. Buy and hold for as long as possible (I've demonstrated to myself that buying and selling to maximise profits on short term basis are not really beneficial - one looses more in the end). Only sell when something fundamental has happened or the share is taking deep dive. 3. Diversify into multiple shares in multiple sectors: do not put too much capital in one single share (I'm still exploring if one can waiver this rule sometime -however, up to now this has served me well). 4. Listen to advice from others, but make your own decissions (I am basing my decissions on both fundamentals & technical indicators).
koos2
Super Contributor
Being within the bounds of common sense when looking at a price target is unreasonable.
partridge
Super Contributor
Here is some sound advice. This forum is occupied by people whose actions are governed by a range of emotions and sometimes thought - and who range from those who sleep with a copy of The intelligent investor by Benjamin Graham under their pillows - PLEASE read it btw if you haven't already - and those who think that the Da Vinci code is actually history- along with a plethora ( not pleroma ) of other Gnosticisms...so best wishes for 2016....
striker
Super Contributor
Now how did I know you would want the last word ,as is your lust. Your last comment fully validates your presumptuous arrogance.Now let me tell you what: - You needn't read any of my postings ( the very few there have been in 4 years )if they annoy you so much. - Where exactly did I advise anyone to sit in ZAR's and ZAR denominated stocks ? Your contention in this regard is simply disingenuous. - FYI, I left S.A. 4 years ago, but had for 25 years prior to that moved out of ZAR into hard currencies. - Like everyone else, I have a right to my comments and that includes calling a market correction or crash for that matter. And exactly how many times have I called the coming correction that you are so tired of hearing ? - Your loudness and aggression are tiresome - so go ahead and have the last word. I am done here.
Russ
Super Contributor
I hope 2016 does arrive, otherwise you will all look a bit silly.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
So glad you're done!. Your advice above was to "Wait for the market correction..." The investor is in Rands. So what else could this mean?... "Disingenuous" - Hah! Your retort is an out and out fabrication! My advice was conservative and general - I recommended taking more expert advice than that available here. You took umbrage - clearly feeling that the absolutist nonsense you are spewing should not be questioned. How dare you give specific advice to a novice and then climb on your high horse when others take issue with this. Grow up and swallow the criticism!
Jughead
Contributor
Here's my advice. You like to shop at WOOLIES why not own a little. Like to drink beer, drink yourself rich, SAB. Smoking, BTI. Everyone becomes sick sometimes specially if you drink and smoke so why not a bit of NTC,MDC and APN. The rand is going weaker DBXUS or DBXJP. Kids must go to school so own some schools CURRO. Finally everyone wants to own Cartier or Mont Blanc jewelry own some of the brand names and get CFR. then stick to them but not necessarily forever.
Not applicable
Wow wow wow...!!! O_o thrilled that i spurred just a discussion. I appreciate the sound advice and constructive criticism shared. However, I'd prefer that, even in the event of difference of opinions and strategy and even clearly unsound advice; we all remain objective and diplomatic in our response. FYI to some; I might be new to trading online but i do not lack knowledge in money. I simply asked advice so as to test my own strategy and knowledge against other traders experiences, insights, educated decisions and success. I'd like to thank everyone who posted and wish you all a fabulous 2016 and hope in the year ahead we all grow and succeed.
samoa
Super Contributor
Maybe the successful traders/investors had already left the room? How you are going to make sense from bickering presented as advice, I don't know.But at least it is something to enjoy at the end of a rather subdued 2015 with a grim smile.TIC
koos2
Super Contributor
ja. dude. when its hard , ya doin somefing righty. wringing ze bell on 60k topi.