Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

AEG,GND

Not applicable
hmm - big difference between an iron ore miner - who sells their product overseas and all they have to do is dig it out the ground - vs a steel producer, who messed up their supply agreement with the same Iron ore producer, needs Eskom to survive and the South African economy to buy its product and, (and this is the kicker), is most likely expecting you to pay for its BEE bill and will also most likely very soon see its parent company extricate itself from this mess by cutting its losses (the last is just my prediction, but I am sure Arcelor Mittal is trying very hard to offload this).
Not applicable
hmm - big difference between an iron ore miner - who sells their product overseas and all they have to do is dig it out the ground - vs a steel producer, who messed up their supply agreement with the same Iron ore producer, needs Eskom to survive and the South African economy to buy its product and, (and this is the kicker), is most likely expecting you to pay for its BEE bill and will also most likely very soon see its parent company extricate itself from this mess by cutting its losses (the last is just my prediction, but I am sure Arcelor Mittal is trying very hard to offload this).
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
More like a kick or a boot.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
More like a kick or a boot.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
@Hali, your points all make sense .. but market cares nothing for sense .. so trade the price, if it is rising buy it .. if falling short it .. if unsure, watch it ..
Hali
Super Contributor
Agreed 100%, but the market always comes in line with fundamentals in the medium to longer term, the short term big move rallies are normal in a bear market.. They typically massive short squeezes, I just don't see the demand/supply of any commodity coming in line in the near future as the cheap money being offered is keeping dead companies alive and this is adding to the glut. So yes you will get violent rallies but the pullbacks are just as violent because theres no support in the rallies, 50% moves in last week.. no consolidation so it just moves back as fast as it rose..
Hali
Super Contributor
Threshold...I told..... :)
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but you can't trade derivatives in the medium to long term .. one trades them in the short term time frame ..
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
?? Clearly you have missed my point. I said I would not short. I also said that I had sold a heap of AGL along the way - such that my remaining shares were almost free. BTW I also offloaded 100 000 LON, 90 000 IMP, 5000 NHM, 40 000 KIO. BUT I will not short them. I will buy them back if they tank, though. My last 30 00 AGL, I will hold.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Russ
Super Contributor
Hali, you were right with your short. Whether the resource rally is over,or whether this is just a pullback in an uptrend remains to be seen, but you were right, at least short-term.
Hali
Super Contributor
Like my MTN calls that were relatively spot on, I have the following calls on AGL - Under R100 (support at R102), ANG- R175 or less, the timeframe for me is within two weeks..
Russ
Super Contributor
Cool, we will watch them. For what it's worth I am staying in my resources for the longer term. I hold shares, not derivatives.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Having dumped most of them - I would love a crash - so I can buy them back! Unfortunately I have very little faith in those good old charts these days.
ChrisDT
Occasional Contributor
i bought kio at 26 and sold at 99-no plans to buy them back
Eurostar
Contributor
Im with Hali on this one, odds stacked on the downside for AGL!
Cedric_1
Contributor
The boot just went in
G_V_V
Super Contributor
I would just like to get this message out there that this world is a giant pyramid scheme. If construction growth and maintenance stops in replacement for a consumable economy then the whole pyramid will crumble and fall. So Simon I agree with you that the economy of consumption is an important part of the whole economy but disagree with you that China and the rest of the world are finished with the consumption of resources in making this giant pyramid grow and the maintenance thereof. All civilizations before us have failed due to this, when the growth stops for whatever reason that civilization dies and so too its economic power to keep its pyramid standing. No economy can just run on couch potatoes using their apples Iphones to make the world revolve financially. Accountability is the sum of the pyramid growth so if that pyramid stops growing so will the well being of all those who live in it, and so too for all those who live in the vicinity of it. Unfortunately this world is too small to hide from the devastation that will happen if this giant pyramid resorts to abandoning its growth path for a decadent and lazy consumable lifestyle. Sure if this devastation does take place the survivors will need to start over, but what lesson will they take with them? Don't stop the growth is a lesson as great as our expanding universe.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
China has just lifted her one child policy (largely) because her wages have risen too much. A quarter of a billion (yes 250 million odd) will move to her cities in the next 9 years. Africa has yet to emerge but certainly has joined the entitlement brigade. India has also hardly begun to play. South America is, for the most part, living in slums. North Africa and the middle East. are still seething from the Arab Spring. Eastern Europe is busy building (and rebuilding) itself. Russia too. Much (most?) of the first world is in a state of decay and needs to find the money to restore itself. AND through all of this - democracy has bred a swarm of "buy votes for promises" politicians who have yet to make good on those promises... and the long term commodity story is over?
G_V_V
Super Contributor
It's only over for old guys as myself who are in retirement but for the youngsters it's only starting for a better life. Read what you said about how you trade, I do the same. Not to worry though the bears will think twice now before they try to trash the resource companies, they have seen the power of the bulls in the past two months.