Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

ANG

Hali
Super Contributor
I am seeing a close below R303,41 as a massive shorting opportunity to R282 as a first target? Stochastic is at the top, majorly overbought and the GP is due for a pullback to 1280. Any taughts?
33 REPLIES 33
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
short weak stock and go long strong stocks ..
Russ
Super Contributor
Yes Hali, the gold shares took a big hit today and I expect more downside to come on all of them.
Hali
Super Contributor
I posted that when the share price was 306. This is where I say told u so:)
FEK
Super Contributor
Hey Russ, what downside targets do you see in Harmony, I see around R50
Not applicable
Anyone who thinks that a 4% move in the direction of his trade is worth boasting about is in serious need of reviewing his risk vs reward strategy. You can't make money on 4% stock moves - simple. That is too tight a range and you will get whipsawed out of pocket in no time at all
Russ
Super Contributor
Quite possible over the next few weeks,Fek. There's such a big sell divergence on the weekly chart (rsi and sto).
Hali
Super Contributor
305 to 285...4%..and I'm in trouble? Good luck genious. .
Hali
Super Contributor
305 to 285...4%..and I'm in trouble? Good luck genious. .
Russ
Super Contributor
Simon, do you still hold shp?
Not applicable
nope, i never said your trade is at risk, I said your strategy was. a trade is once off. A strategy exists if you can repeat the exercise. That is the part I am challenging. If you think you can make money consistently by getting excited over a 4% move, then you are going to lose hand over fist. The gain is in no way likely to offset the losses you incur on all the losing trades that are operating in the same tight range. Unless you are day trading, of course, but then you can't day trade single stocks.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ANG can do an opening gap of way more than 4% the other way . then what ?!
Hali
Super Contributor
At the end of the day, I have the guts to make a call.. Simon give us a call.. Let's test if its right? Dont give a general technical statement.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
trading is not about guts ..
I don't trade shares (aside from momentum portfolio) .. my lazy is long MidCap and giving me entry for Monday on Indi25 .. ALSI I currently have no open positions
Russ
Super Contributor
Simon,looking at the charts I suspect that the rand is due for some weakness and that sab and npn (among others) are likely to benefit. Hence indi25 is probably a good call.
Russ
Super Contributor
Shares that I liked the look of when I checked the charts yesterday were bat, bti, cfr, inl, inp, sab. I am now in ara, sab, and inl (and tkg).
Hali
Super Contributor
Ok for the momentum players.. ANG - The mines have an 18 year remaining uselful life.. So how than can the PE of this company be anything more than 18 years? Investing 101.. The share price should be aligned to the sum of the future earnings.. Given its debt load that would wipe out a few years off the PE.. So I would maximum pay 15 PE for this share.. Currently around over 300 based on a 35c first half profit..
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
The reserves are probability based and they oly show reserves as they are promoted up the probability scale.. so inferred rises to indicated then to measured and each is further split into probable and proved. In addition to this - the model is fashioned based on current economics - a move in the gold price will promote the top nth percentile of each category to the next and increase the overall reserves substantially. It all adds up to a fun game where 18 year life of mine can be stretched like chewing gum to 30 years and then collapsed back to 10 years as it suits the miner.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
and because momentum don't care about profits, life of mine or anything else except momentum ..
Hali
Super Contributor
So u agree that no logical investor will invest in ANG at anywhere near the current levels as they will never get back the cost of the investment in there lifetimes based on the profit history of this company..