Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Banks

Bouwer
Super Contributor
Why are banks such rip-offs? Wanted to exchange some currency, USD to ZAR. Was offered R 11.80 yesterday and a commission fee of 2.1%?
13 REPLIES 13
Rams
Super Contributor
Buffet called Banks, consultants and lawyers "big mouths with expensive tastes"
kwagga
Super Contributor
Did you take it ?
Bouwer
Super Contributor
Well I can't remember the last time I walked out of any bank and thought "thank you for the help"..
samoa
Super Contributor
Keep the dollars!
Blik
Super Contributor
WHAT!! Its Simpler, Better, Faster.....ha ha ha I can think of a choice few words to replace those, but would probably be banned like Chartist!
Bouwer
Super Contributor
I do agree with the simple!!
Not applicable
always ask for both the spot and the forward rates. Usually they only give you the spot - but the forward rate is normally a couple of points better (providing you are willing to wait a few days). Nothing you can do about the commissions though - actually there is, but only if you bring money in regularly (There are companies specializing in this sort of thing)
Bouwer
Super Contributor
Which companies are these?
jetman
Occasional Contributor
I would like to buy some of that dollars if you want to sell at current rate
Bouwer
Super Contributor
Well you can contact me on [email protected] if you are interested.
gamma
Contributor
Currencies Direct
jetman
Occasional Contributor
Bouwer you have mail
geordie1
Super Contributor
the banks are charging so much that a new breed of currency brokers have stepped into this market and generally offer better deals ,the one I have used is currencyfair-they basically offer a data base that allows customers to exchange with each other and they charge a fee which is in my opinion reasonable takes a bit of effort to set up but it worked for me and i did not feel ripped of-check out other alternatives as well.its a competitive market out there and technology allows us to search out alternatives