Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Chaotic markets...

THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
This market is truly "taking no prisoners." I fear this mentality has yet to play out fully in the ZAR(?) It may be time to try and pick a bottom in some of these shares/indices rather than waiting for the Rand to capitulate. Or just buy the USD. Not a long term solution... but at least one can hunker in relative shelter for a while.
9 REPLIES 9
shares
Contributor
If you think the Rand will continue to fall why not buy some DBXJP or DBXUK?
koos2
Super Contributor
What is this market you speak of? Its 5 dudes.
Limitless
Contributor
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Have plenty of NEWUSD- for the meantime. From an inflationary and dividend income point of view - one needs shares though. Longer term - there must be some interesting opportunities developing. More on overseas markets though.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Oh yes - and I'm greedy!
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Oddly enough (or not, given the current state of affairs,) exactly this issue of covering Rand risk while hedging against a reversal is covered in Standard Bank's >Reasearch>Analyst's Reports- it expands on the conundrum but really does not (cannot) offer a solution. It even considers my option of catching a variety of falling knives (ie. picking bottoms) across a diversity of asset classes: report:https://securities.standardbank.co.za/ost/sp/FrontOfficeSecure/ContentManagement/TransferFile.aspx?r... Futures Daily\Trading in tough markets.pdf&method=Open
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
If we enter a protracted bear market - these are not a solution.
Rams
Super Contributor
we had 2 of the three waves(not Elliot), we now in the third wave. First was the US , then the Euro zone, now the third is the Emerging markets...
Preston
Super Contributor
@Ram, the fourth wave will take me to Chatsworths where I can enjoy a hot mutton curry bunny with salad and all. Btw , how was the trip/holiday?