Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Consolidating Portfolio - Thinking about unloading these

MarkD
Contributor
So its been a tough year on the JSE this year and I've been running through my portfolio of investments looking to offload some stocks that I think have a bleak future or that just haven't performed for me since I picked them up. I'm keen to hear your thoughts on this list of shares, particularly thought on potential positive outlooks that might save them from the axe! Richemont: Seem to be struggling based on last set of interim results, and not sure of the outlook. ABSA: Sluggish and maybe I'd trade it for another bank. Only bank in the portfolio currently. Liberty: Had a bad year, generally sluggish. Netcare Pergrin SASOL Would you hold on to or buy any of the above, and if so, why?
22 REPLIES 22
BullsnBears
Contributor
Had Richemont which I offloaded recently. Their best days seem behind them. Crackdown in China and a slowdown in Europe and the US. Big management changes coming next year along with Rupert retiring. Winds of change are blowing. The rich will be held to account soon and made to pay their fair dues and taxes. CFR will feel the brunt of these changes.
Vince888
Regular Contributor
Peregrine for me is a buy. Find it cheaper than all the other asset managers. I currently hold peregrine. I also recently added to my position. Pay good dividends
Vince888
Regular Contributor
If you wanna trade ABSA for another bank, I would suggest FSR for a long term hold. Wait for a pullback and buy. I think that they will do well if you hold them for long-term
MarkD
Contributor
thanks. At first glance FSR ticks all my boxes - I like it. I think a good trade could be on the cards, and longer term would suit me well as well.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
All about your view on the Rand and - it follows - SA Inc.
Quakedog
Super Contributor
MarkD
Contributor
my views are generally negative but i dont think CFR will help much. Have Naspers in the portfolio already - bought about 5 years ago so you can imagine the return-to-date. Would love a few more, but so expensive. Looking for other options.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
CFR? You can't have a hedge without any profit. CFR will have its day again. Never liked it much. some UK assets have been smashed post Brexit and offer yields up to nearly 10% in Pounds. REDEFINE INL, INTU, CAPC, SRP, MAMMERSON, MDP, REI, ARA... many more to look at. Maybe start with these.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
partridge
Super Contributor
CFR - the issue is not the past - that is the past - its what they are doing about the future. So....problem was they let their prices run ahead of inflation - thereby outpacing key HK inflation -...silly people , which has led to a series of domino moves - wth them buying back stock - for the watch retailers survival - not the jewelry - i.e. Cartier. They have 1. changed general management. 2 they are repositioning their watch product in cheaper cases - to give them a wider sales base( makes good sense) and cutting back on manufacture( retrenching those poor Swiss. So they are doing something. Liberty - time to say good bye. INVT - best of the banks( ?) Offshore property - look at the class of property that you are buying - if its not A class then what are you doing - that is key - any idiot can put together a high yielding portfolio - for which SA folk are suckers. Its the class..that counts
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
CFR repositioning into lower priced watches. Good luck to them in that market! clearly we are not talking about buying miners at cyclical peaks for yield here. As long as it is decent property, it needn't be the best. So entry "A" grade then. BTW - Dividend, Dividend, Dividend. A policy born of too many years chasing growth dreams! Especially in UKP, USD, EUR
partridge
Super Contributor
En passant - one thing we could never accuse the Ruperts of doing - paying excessive divvies..
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
And there assets were always typically holding co's trading at some discount to the underlying. Is it just me - or does the Rupert's midas touch seem to have waned?
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
WELL... how do you like "dem apples?"
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
one year very short-term for a long-term portfolio ??
geordie1
Super Contributor
agree market has been sideways now for nearly 3 years-nothing exciting.i will hold onto netcare as I trust they will be ok in long term-I am still keeping Sasol as I think they will be around in the long term and there is a possibility of good upside-seems to me bad news is in the price so not the time to sell.peregrin is on my watchlist to buy maybe next year-seem to be fairly consistent in their results and decent dividend.most banks are looking attractive from a pe and dividend point of view but world economy and our economic frailties suggest nothing exciting going to happen in the short to medium term.I have sold a few shares and cash is attractive in present environment so understand your thinking.good luck with your decisions
rosszar
Contributor
WHL must be starting to look attractive imo