Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Countries Visited

Preston
Super Contributor
Which are some of the most beautiful places you have visited and how is the ethos of those peoples different from SA citizens.
28 REPLIES 28
warhippo
Super Contributor
Interesting question. I think most of us like travel and Africa ranks among best, but what still stands out in my mind is Churchill, Hudson Bay, Canada. Polar Bear viewing and Northern lights. People very isolated and town only reachable by train or plane.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
KZN .. chilled
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
The Sahara - no people, no noise, no markets...
suki
Super Contributor
stores
Super Contributor
Traveled at lot but my best is New Zealand...The scenery is fantastic and the people there are so honest..They reminded me so much of old Rhodesia, where I grew up.... If you go there make sure its between November and April. Agree though with Simon Brown though that KZN is great.
Chopchop
Contributor
Nepal the most beautiful by far, people are humble... Really awesome place. Sierra Leone was interesting and quite a culture shock but not really a great holiday spot
BullsnBears
Contributor
Peru. Truly an amazing country. We South Africans have this belief that we have the most beautiful country in the world. Let me say now that is a load of nonsense. This country can't hold a candle to Peru.
Not applicable
Thumbs up for NZ. Been there twice now (I friend emigrated some years ago, so accommodation is free :) Some of the most beautiful scenery, and not very crowded, which is a bonus.
Not applicable
New Zealand already mentioned in this thread. Also, east part of French countryside, bordering Switzerland, absolutely stunning. I would retire in Annecy (Fr) by the lake in a heartbeat, if I had a chance. Albertville (Fr) you could practically eat off the pavements it was so clean.
Gert15
Contributor
Lived in Colombia - Medellin great city - visited Peru, Costa Rica and Cuba all amazing
partridge
Super Contributor
Cortina d'ampezzo : Northern Eastern Italy- best skiing, pink dolomites , best food( Italian plus Austrian) very relaxed - even the famous Co- op (which sells the most expensive stuff imaginable) - "passagiata" in the afternoon - must get back soon( Seeing the praise of NZ (good fishing ) reminds me of John Cleese's comments on the country " We left England in June of 1965 and arrived in NZ in June of 1922" -pretty well sums it up.)
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Interesting one... I have been to a few places, one small town that I absolutely LOVE is Thun and Steffisburg in Switzerland, its an incredible little town looking at the Jungfrau mountain... Speaking to these people is hard if you cannot speak german, but they're friendly and helpful (in some occurrences, helps if you can speak their language) Then my favourite city in the world is New York, I don't even know why, but I am nuts about it! Culture in the week is interesting, busy, busy, busy but after work you meet friendly, helpful people that like to find out where you come from and chat for hours, i like these people in this town... Central Park is awesome btw... Thats obviously besides Cape Town which I find very cool too!
Blik
Super Contributor
Well I was born in a small town
And I live in a small town
Probably die in a small town
Oh, those small communities

All my friends are so small town
My parents live in the same small town
My job is so small town
Provides little opportunity

Educated in a small town
Taught the fear of Jesus in a small town
Used to daydream in that small town
Another boring romantic that's me

But I've seen it all in a small town
Had myself a ball in a small town
Married an L.A. doll and brought her to this small town
Now she's small town just like me

No I cannot forget where it is that I come from
I cannot forget the people who love me
Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town
And people let me be just what I want to be

Got nothing against a big town
Still hayseed enough to say
Look who's in the big town
But my bed is in a small town
Oh, and that's good enough for me

Well I was born in a small town
And I can breathe in a small town
Gonna die in this small town
And that's probably where they'll bury me
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Plitvice Lakes: UNESCO site in Croatia with them 16 annexed lakes one never-endingly feeding the other through successive waterfalls and streams of the clearest water you may find EVER. Also amongst others the scenic town of Triberg (however they refer to a city!) and surrounds, Germany (inter alia a source for the famous Cuckoo clock) and sports the highest waterfall in Germany.
Rams
Super Contributor
I think one has to see some of these palces in Winter. I am off to Switzerland (and Paris,Vienna) for Christmas holidays. and I must say I quite liked New York. Best place to enjoy Prestons Christmas Rally.
Yatagan
Frequent Contributor
North-western Mongolia is beautiful. Lakes, rivers and mountains and the biggest trout species in the world. I also lived in a rain forest on an island in Indonesia. Different, but facinating.
Cedric_1
Contributor
Reminds me of a comment the pilot made when I first arrived in SA. "The temperature is 27degrees, there is a clear blue sky, and for the time put your watch back 15 years". Country I like is Denmark. Very clean, friendly people and lovely country and countryside.
Cedric_1
Contributor
Reminds me of a comment the pilot made when I first arrived in SA. "The temperature is 27degrees, there is a clear blue sky, and for the time put your watch back 15 years". Country I like is Denmark. Very clean, friendly people and lovely country and countryside.