Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Culture and values of a company and the investor

Werner_1
Super Contributor
I would like to know who of you pay attention to the culture and values of a company when you invest in that particular firm? are you only after the price movement or do you actually care about what they're doing and how they're doing it?
16 REPLIES 16
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Ok, so i take it nobody here cares about the culture of the organisations they invest in? what if the way a company does business sets itself up for greatness in the future, cultivates innovation and creativity, etc?
am_1
Frequent Contributor
I do. Take EOH for example against ABL
Werner_1
Super Contributor
yes, another great example is Capitec vs Abil! both banks, one great the other proven to be not so great...
geordie1
Super Contributor
I like a company that has integrity.I check what management say and whether they speak the truth even bad news and whether what they promise actually takes place.I also want to beleive that what they are doing is sustainable in the long term
Rams
Super Contributor
i dont like alcohol, but i like SAB....
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I guess you don't smoke but like BATsa?
Rams
Super Contributor
and the list goes on, same with banks, Telkom, no Eskom yet....
Werner_1
Super Contributor
but that isnt really the culture and values ideas that i am thinking about... my thinking is more about the alignment from within the company and how its operating and not if the investor agrees with the product they're selling.
Not applicable
hard for a retail investor to measure organizational culture. That requires case study analysis usually carried out by academics or paid for consultants. All you have to go on as an investor, is how accurate the management team are in forecasting their returns and how well they protect your investment, which is not the same thing at all.
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Skaap... that's 100% true... its a pity the investment community doesn't have that info, I think it would be very useful to everyone.
Rams
Super Contributor
but we do have that information, share price, ROE . Is it all not reflected in the price?
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Rams
Super Contributor
are you referring to collusion like the practice of construction companies and cellphone companies. Or companies that just take out the competition? Or the CEO or CFA "borrowing" company funds.
Werner_1
Super Contributor
At a visible level, culture represents the behaviour patterns or style of an organisation that new employees are automatically encouraged to follow by their fellow employees - the companies with strong cultures tend to do better over time.
Werner_1
Super Contributor
ok, strong good cultures, you can have a strong bad culture too and have your smart workforce walk in tandem off a cliff...
Galuc
Super Contributor
I don't even look at what they sell or do unless I am really bored stiff, buy on charts, fundamentals are to complicated for my small brain!