Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

DEFENSIVE SHARES

duiker1
Not applicable
Hi,can anybody enlighten me on which sector is regarded as defensive,and which shares are recommended.Regards Mark.
9 REPLIES 9
Werner_1
Super Contributor
People might argue with me on this, but I believe the healthcare industry shares are defensive. MDC and APN... I love them both for very long term holdings. I guess you can then look at Life Healthcare and Netcare too. I am not a fan of the other pharma one...
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
things that in-elastic demand; weapons, tobacco, health etc.
Rovert
Super Contributor
samoa
Super Contributor
Ja, will have to admit that SAB can be defensive but tend to be offensive when market is close. JSE and newly listed INDLU are IMO the most defensive.
geordie1
Super Contributor
for the past decade or more property shares have proved very defensive with an almost uninterupted increase in capital growth and distribution growth.-the jury is out on whether this will continue-I will let u know in 10 years time
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Then there is the issue of geographic defensiveness - ie. non South African revenue streams, earnings in quality forex, non South African assets, even non South African companies/listings.
Werner_1
Super Contributor
and the answer if my friends at Mediclinic... probably 70% of the earnings will be from elsewhere, Swiss Franc and British Pound, solid currencies and growth markets for healthcare and 'system providers/hospitals and technology providers' in the industry. Just to note: Remgro and the management of Mediclinic are a bunch of geniuses! http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2015/06/23/Mediclinic-dispenses-R9bn-pill
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
So, Werner - do you favour a holding in Remgro or Mediclinic under these latest circumstances?
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I like Mediclinic...