Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Dead Cat Bounce!

Hali
Super Contributor
What do you mean by trading the price? Then whats the purpose of technicals?
Not applicable
it means the price is the only truth. Don't try to seek reasons, or pre-empt bounces vs corrections. Ignore the noise and trade the truth
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
hali, lets for a moment agree that price is the only truth in the market and hence all that matters (and this is my belief and how I trade) .. one must then be very careful of TA as it is merely a mathematical derivative of price and actually take us away from price and as such the truth .. so less TA is better TA ..

hence my lazy system uses only 3 EMAs while momentum uses only price
Russ
Super Contributor
Whatever works!
Hali
Super Contributor
So Simon lets use a practical example, lets take AGL.. how do you trade it currently by trading the price? Because its volatile and erratic and also everyday is a major gap between opening and closing prices..
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I don't think one can trade AGL right now .. it a lottery
Hali
Super Contributor
I think theres a lot we can all learn from you btw..
Not applicable
that is not true - it has been trending beautifully for almost 2 years if you were short. I you are silly enough to think you can make money day trading it - then sure, not possible. But nobody can make money day trading stocks on the JSE. But simple mathematics, average true range and money management makes trading AGL a breeze.
Rams
Super Contributor
When trading the price, one has to have a "reference price": otherwise the price right now means nothing. So , how do you work out your reference price?
Hali
Super Contributor
That's what I am trying to figure out, how is this concept applied in a practical sense. If AGL is R100 how do you know its cheap/expensive based on what measuring standard? With technicals..yes it could be wrong but you have a trend etc that you can use to predict
Preston
Super Contributor
Ya, learn what not to do. My Mentor is John F Carter and in this forum, Kwagga and Barry ranks very high on my list...
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
reference price is what it was, is it goign higher = buy .. lower = short
Russ
Super Contributor
True that Rams. Price on its own means nothing.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
cheap / expensive is a fundamental concept, has no place in trading
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no it means everything, in totality .. only thing that is true and matters .. look at the peoples going long KIO all the way from r300, ditto AGL etc.
Rams
Super Contributor
so then for KIO, R300 is the reference price, its a short from R300 but if your reference is R25 (a month ago) then its a long.
Preston
Super Contributor
so then for BIL, R220 is the reference price, its a short from R350 but if your reference is R135 (a week ago) then its a long.
Rams
Super Contributor
Dont confuse trading with investing.
Preston
Super Contributor
price has the similar property for trading and investing.Everything is discounted in the price.
Rams
Super Contributor
yes, thats the point, its about what you want to do with the price, sell it or buy it. You could do both, sell if trading and buy if investing.