Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Dual listed companies

BullsnBears
Contributor
Hi All, Please could someone provide clarity on dual-listed shares in this country. I currently own British American shares. If South Africa collapses and everything gets nationalized do I still own my BAT shares in London? Or do I lose everything. In other words am I still a shareholder in BATS even if the SA listing no longer exists? Can I sell the shares I bought on the JSE in London. Any help and links will be appreciated. Thank You
10 REPLIES 10
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you likely are still the owner, in most cases they are fungible, meaning you can transfer them to the other exchange they trade .. that's the theory, the practise if we've fallen into the sea is unknown ..
BullsnBears
Contributor
Thank you Simon. Is there any reason why BATS would not allow them to be transferred? Legally I'm still a shareholder am I not? So they wouldn't be able to "remove" my rights.
stores
Super Contributor
Ya good discussion....Sorry to change the core discussion....I am seriously invested into BTI, its been my goal keeper, but am a little worried after my last trip to NZ....Their target is to make Kiwiland cigarette free in 5 years time.? Any views out there?
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Moving over to dope? No can't see it happening, when I go to Europe and talk to the locals, they all seem so very health conscious when it comes to what they stick in their stomachs, yet the amount of smokers never ceases to amaze me, especially women and young folk, far more than is the case in our country. After SOL, BTI is my biggest holding, my annual trips overseas gives me confidence to hold on a while longer, in fact bought some more on it's recent pull back.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
You need to advise SARS, Reserve bank et al. in order to move to the overseas register. You might also trigger CGT. Different for various listings depending on the prevailing forex regime under which they were established. If SA goes kaput I imagine the shares would go into a trust since the taxman would have a claim etc. It never ends well...
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
You may go to jail for theft, life or death for murder, does it stop those crimes from being committed, quite simply no. Smoking is up to the individual to realise the health risks, and no amount of legislation will stop smoking, it's an individuals right to smoke if he wants, maybe not in public and of course not exposing others to "passive smoking". The sin tax received on booze and smokes is something no government would want to get rid of in a hurry, especially in a growing third world country.The human destruction caused by alcohol makes smoking pale to insignificance. BTI may no longer be a growth stock, but for me a good Rand hedge, so will hold on a while longer. By the way I'm also involved in the liquor game and stopped smoking 32 years ago. Just for interest sake, when I joined "Round Table" of the 18 members there were 2 non-smokers. When I was bowler hatted 16 years later of the 16 members present there were only 3 smokers.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
They should legislate to prevent "too-heavy" weights and stressful, heart attack activities - like share trading. Ban fatty foods, sugar spice, all things nice... You may not smoke near your baby but you can still drink and pill-pop and breastfeed. You might even throw the hapless infant against a wall (good YOUTUBE material) Ultimately - you may not even commit suicide since you might offend some Mother Grundy. Smoking is the target du jour. How will they replace all of those yummy taxes though?
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
surfer
Regular Contributor
As Simon says.Fungible in theory yes but I would say the local share price in Rands should in theory keep up to the London price otherwise there will be arbitrage opportunities.If SA goes kaput I think you it would be quicker to sell the SA holdings (trigger CGT) and buy london listed .Not sure whether you can do a transfer of shares in a quick manner as would need to get strate and clearing houses involved