Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

ETFs / NewGold, SBAOIL - Help with understanding?

Limitless
Contributor
Hi Guys. Can someone help me with the following: How does the price of an ETF (eg: NewGold or SBAOIL) track both the underlying price of the asset (Gold or Oil), and balance market forces. For example, if the gold price is R1100, how is it that the NewGold ETF tracks it. What happens if there is a huge demand for the NewGold ETF - would that not inflate the cost of the ETF relative to the price of Gold due to supply / demand? Or am i over thinking or missing something?
5 REPLIES 5
leoridge
Contributor
Think it's because the etf physically owns the equivalent amount of asset so if the demand for the etf rises so more asset must be bought , or am I missing something.
Bchip
Frequent Contributor
the 2 are suppose to track one another but divergence do occur. Usually its closely correlated but never 100%.

Heres an example of an Oil ETF in $ versus the Oil price in $

https://twitter.com/MktOutperform/status/684935888682369024
klapka
Super Contributor
The instrument issue is kept close to demand. So if there are more redemptions they de-list and if more buyers they list more.
Cedric_1
Contributor
Dont forget the rand/dollar exchange rate also becomes a factor.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the issuer also ensures a market maker who has a constant bid/offer either side of fair value