Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

For the tax experts on this forum

Preston
Super Contributor
Question 1) Do we define Cfd's as a hybrid instrument? Question 2) As per the Income Tax Act , is dividend received ,net of dividend tax, on a hybrid instrument deemed to be interest received which is then included in your Gross Income and is subject to Income tax again?
9 REPLIES 9
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Preston
Super Contributor
The question remains, is Cfd's a hybrid instrument and the Income Tax "deeming provision" of div's received on hybrid instrument.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Per OST - the div on the underlying SHARE is effectively ceded - so big argument with SARS potentially looms for you. With others EG. BOE - the DIV is "manufactured" to track the value on the CFD - so taxable.
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Agree, don't trade CFDs here but do on BOE,IG and PSG and dividend taxable on all those platforms.
Preston
Super Contributor
@THRESHOLD, so you whacked with div tax from OST , then deeming provision will consider that amt as interest income and then you get taxed a second time by virtue of inclusion of Gross Income. (Interest exemptions applies).
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Preston - I am not dispensing tax advice - but you would technically be entitled to a rebate of the amount already paid. Consult a tax advisor. AND - if you are establishing a position - relying on dividends to fund the cost of interest - consider getting an advance ruling from SARS; BUT again discuss this with your tax advisor.
Preston
Super Contributor
@prancing horse , share the same view, thanks. One thing is certain is IG platform is exceptionally stable compared to Easy Trader.
Not applicable
Have to say I don't trust OST in this regard. They also treat listed property income distribution as dividends, and withhold that too. I am curious as to what happens to the money held ...
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor