Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Forum member views on investment approaches:

warhippo
Super Contributor
A poor company, but a good investment. and "fantastic business, but we think it might be a poor investment" (An interview of mid Feb 2015.) Quote: "Today, Aveng is trading well below book value and we think that makes for a good investment. "A poor company, but a good investment." This is from an interview when I think Aveng was trading at R20 http://www.biznews.com/interviews/2015/02/17/piet-viljoen-talks-markets-aveng-curro-astral-and-more/ I personally struggle with this approach as I would not buy a "poor" company as an investment? Are these concepts/approach "unique" (or a Buffet like copy?) because I like reading and listening to views of "smart" people. By that I also mean money managers, that the man in the street look up to , to manage their money. I apologize but no offense meant to anybody, as maybe we all can learn something here. (I don't own or know much about these shares)
1 REPLY 1
geordie1
Super Contributor
it sounds like a comment made by an advisor who is hedging his bets so in the likely rise or fall of the company he can say he told u so.I personally have bought shares when they are at a low when there is bad news around but I have faith that the business model is sound and management can turn it around-a recent example would be picknpay who look like they are emerging from troubled waters.many analysts make statements that can be interpreted either way and I am sure this reflects the real truth-no one knows what the future holds.very few advisers will tell u that