Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

HOW TO SEE WHICH SHARE U NEED TO BUY

KONKE
New Contributor
HAAI EVERYONE IM NEW IN THIS GAME SO I NEED HELP OR TIPS ON BUYING SHARES THAT CAN GIVE ME MONEY
16 REPLIES 16
warhippo
Super Contributor
This is just the wrong place for your question. Go to a website like maybe justonelap.com for starters and start reading from there and keep on reading - to get you going. (In meantime your money is safe in the bank.)Forget about this "game" and get serious - GOOD LUCK!
Rovert
Super Contributor
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Another thingy - shares giving money is nowhere available. You can't even buy them.
koos2
Super Contributor
yeah, und ze market is democratic.
Preston
Super Contributor
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Preston
Super Contributor
@prancing horse. I cashed out at a profit and went into Steinhoff at R79.68. I see Nampak is back over R20. Are you going to take some profit on this share?
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
did you sell all or keep your long term investment portion
Preston
Super Contributor
partridge
Super Contributor
Here is a clue to the answer if you are an investor - and frankly its good advice. Piet Viljoen was recently quoted as saying " ..investing thrives on disgust and neglect . You do not buy those companies that people are sitting around the campfire singing KUM BAH YAH about." ( If you are part of the herd though this is meaningless input to your because they and you WILL be singing about shares.)
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
@Preston, no haven't taken any profit yet.Currently in Croatia going back to Italy for a week then back home. Hope by that time 21 is reached so it can pay for the next vac. Pleased to see NED recovery as well as that puts me very much in the dark green.
Preston
Super Contributor
@prancing horse, enjoy the rest of your holiday. Hopefully Nampak will prove some of its skeptics wrong.
geordie1
Super Contributor
its a pretty big question but let me say it is a lot of fun trying to get it right-been doing this as an investor for 20 years and I now know that I do not know what I am doing-having said that I have survived and brought up my family on income from this.my approach is to look for value and buy good companies on bad news-ie the share is "undervalued" and has a pe of around 10 and a dividend of around 5%. when you make mistakes(and u will) you sell your "bad" companies on good news-ie try to get out as best u can. there are other approaches do plenty of reading and I would recommend the intelligent investor by Benjamin graham-bit old fashioned but an honest account of the ups and downs of investing- of course if you want to trade then that is a whole different ball game and not one I am able to give u any input on
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Blik
Super Contributor
Well if you want shares that give you money, look for shares that pay a decent and consistent dividend yield. At least that share might "give you money" once or twice a year - regardless of whether the share price appreciates or not. A share will give you money, I guess if you sell once you have realised a gain. But what shares and at what price - well run a few filters, available under the Instruments menu, and see what you get. Listen to people on the forum. Read, read and read some more. And ask questions - we should be able to, on the forum, without incurring the ire of the "if you have to ask that sort of question...." brigade. But maybe phrase your question towards the specific, as opposed to the very general.
koos2
Super Contributor
yeah, und " we aint never gonna be friends " circa 1990 was valuable info.