Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

I just have one question to all the resource commodity bears.

THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Can you read? I wrote : "Commodity prices will turn upward." I wrote markets will clear and profits will return." I have explained it every which way and I was beginning to think you had a block but it turns out you just don't read what is written!
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
As to you last post - what utter nonsense! Banks can't even stabilise the funding market - and you think they can control this juggernaut? Ditto housing which is a separate market. Go and read what happened in the great depression. They did a fine job of controlling that - and those markets were piddling compared to today. This is puerile.
G_V_V
Super Contributor
Your 17:11 comment was not there when I wrote my comment 17:17. So what you are basicly basically saying is that the miners will continue to produce for as long as they can. My question was, Who will produce when they can't anymore" because they are bust? The children of Nigeria? Why would the world allow prices to drop so much that the big miners go bust, the only ones who can produce for the world? Why will they want to harm their providers for future expansion? I dare you or anyone else to do it, let's see how brave you are to destroy yourselves.
G_V_V
Super Contributor
Your 18:03 was also not there when I wrote my 18:25 however without banks this economy is you know what F.... everything depends on each other part of the economy. Rock the boat and everything rolls over.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
But nobody said they will all go bust - the weakest ones will. Those left standing will suddenly possess that rarest of assets in the commodity market: Pricing Power! Governments have turned theie hands to mining where necessary - very inefficiently - but artificially cheaply since they are using public money. My earlier post of 4:55 said "So - prices will turn when dynamics change. You "responded" to this post so I it's safe to assume you read this!
G_V_V
Super Contributor
No one will survive if prices are forced down too much, even if Glencore can survive on nothing. Glencore can not support the rest of the world.
manere_fortis
Frequent Contributor
Thank you GEM, skaap and THRESHOLD for your insightful contributions to the question "who will go bust?" (I see that in the meanwhile this thread has turned into a Sub A lesson for "Got my Views in a Vice" on how miners operate) My qu prompted by the thought that I should ride the shorts on the stressed commodity cos, the ones likely to go to the wall, for much longer than I have been. (Do I have the nerves to carry thru on a long term short? That remains to be seen) Certainly LON, but also AGL, with the political interference preventing job cuts, etc look likely candidates imv.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Too late to short! Too early for longs!
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
I am starting to get interested in companies that are "involved" in the cycle though - the likes of TAL, TEXTAINER (TRENCOR is very illiquid.)
G_V_V
Super Contributor
LOL I think you guys have taken a step back now in trying to trash the resources.
manere_fortis
Frequent Contributor
Thanks for the "too late" warning. I have done very well on AGL, a number of times, perhaps time to look at other opportunities, as you say.
G_V_V
Super Contributor
I never did Sub A, after two days in Sub A the teachers thought I was too advanced in mathematics compared to the other kids so they put me in Sub B. In high school I got distinctions in accountancy. What can be said about you?
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Are you addressing me or... I as an unmotivated student at best - I had a few distinctions in matric and at varsity - I did applied honours in financial accounting, cost accounting, auditing practice, auditing theory and EDP systems and taxation.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Oh, I just read PLATVOET's comment about SUB A - Sorry! He's probably right about our discussion though... it didn't make for compelling reading.
G_V_V
Super Contributor
Wow that's pretty impressive, any degrees in LOVE?
G_V_V
Super Contributor
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
G_V_V
Super Contributor
Precisely, can you display or have you ever reached such a high degrees in love as the degrees you have achieved in the subjects you mentioned earlier?
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Are you trying to induct me into a hippie cult?
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
Guys, everyone is trading their belief about the market. I firmly believe that Kio is holding some poker cards. Kio will not go burst.This market is filled with investments opportunities.If you do not like Kio then invest in MTA.