Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

INVESTEMNT PROSPECTS

THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
AEL/AEN - looks filthy cheap - unless. As always - there are good reasons. Then again there were good reasons for her to be trading at R50 odd when that was the case.
kwagga
Super Contributor
Market not fond of the two Venter brothers. Poor investment decisions over the years have seen shareholder value been chipped away year after year after year. They are clearly no Bill Venter.
kwagga
Super Contributor
A share I hold and think have got great prospects is Merafe. Well run company. Great liquidity in trading volume and cheap. I think this thing could do very well.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Sure - but then again - the old Venter built a beast in a different world. Still - BYTES is hidden in this hulk and must be worth more than the entire ruling market cap if EOH is anything to go by.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Traded it in the past. Don't like it much. Hugely capital intensive. Runaway utility bills. Overwhelmingly labour-intensive= vast numbers of potential rioters and capital extortionists. Single commodity risk et al. Mining licence captive to the state. If we were to move into a commodity boom - it would follow though. Although it looks more like we are about to go the other way at this point.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
How about small ("boutique?") investment managers - like PCT,ARA maybe SCP?
kwagga
Super Contributor
The only company that offers anything compelling is SYG. They have a couple of low cost products, robo advisers and good management. ARA I wouldn't touch. I don't like their management. Prescient & Stellar I'm not sure off. Stellar biggest mover and shaker, but investments in Cadiz & Torre raises questions. These companies can't offer anything to shareholders if the markets don't play along, and for the last 2,5 years the SA market has been pretty flat.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
SYG is a low cost alpha play, so no out preform fees like cml and acg get to charge .. I like the business model, but it needs to be way cheaper
Preston
Super Contributor
:-) Simon, can i have your blessing to buy more ARA?
kwagga
Super Contributor
Yes, SYG is fully priced
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
ARA - I think the management of all of these companies is pretty much "cut from the same cloth." So this is a fairly ubiquitous risk in this "small manager" arena. ARA has genuine quality assets at a substantial discount. The difference is that the management fee is perceived to be a cost whereas the other plays are a step further back ie. they manage funds for a fee which is reflected as income. This model could well be appended to ARA just as the other companies manage a certain level of "own funds." The risk with ARA is more about their portfolio having been assembled at too high a price, I think.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Oh yes, and then ARA has NO dividend and no prospect of paying one anytime soon. That isn't exactly attractive.
kwagga
Super Contributor
ARA is invested in mainly big well known companies at high prices. They have no edge, and that's the reason why they announced that very unpopular incentive scheme, on top of performance & management fees. They are serious bull*****ters. Not interested in management like that.
kwagga
Super Contributor
Anyone following Ecsponent ? Also an interesting little share
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Sounds like all of the others - just at a discount.
Russ
Super Contributor
PSG looks like it's breaking out. Has also been some big directors' dealings of late.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
BSR might be the "bidder-in-the-wings" for MUR's and perhaps even AEG's SAfrican construction businesses. As I understand it - she would get an immediate 20% kicker on contract extension pricing by virtue of becoming a black construction company. Diving in for 200 to 400 shares starting at these levels. Just hold my nose and take the plunge.
Russ
Super Contributor
Wow, R500 worth? Is that you, Threshold?
Russ
Super Contributor
I assume you are buying mur. I thought you were referring to bsr!
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
BSR 200 000 TO 400 000 - so maybe R1M. Already hold some MUR. Flogged my AEG - hoping for a pullback.