Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Intraday prices

Werner_1
Super Contributor
I want to run some experiments on a few shares that require intraday prices (open, close, high, time of the high, low and time of the low) - do you know if one can get this data for free somewhere? I don't want to pay a fortune to play around in excel a bit...
13 REPLIES 13
Not applicable
If you openend an account with a different broker that provided IRESS or Protrader you get a couple of days free data.
You wont get free intraday data on SA stocks spanning a long time period. Only US stocks would be a possibility.
orange68
Super Contributor
http://capitalsynergy.com/data.php something to look at which might help. was done for amibroker backtesting so not huge variety
Not applicable
very helpful site, but thats EOD data.
warhippo
Super Contributor
For US stocks, just make use of your TD Ameritrade account/platform
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Thanks guys, Perhaps I should try my experiment on US shares to see if it works. Its such a pity that the SA ones don't give us this stuff for free. Let me check TD Ameritrade!
IAM
Contributor
Hi Werner, if you only want to do it for a few shares you can get the data from the price history for the share on OST. If you want to do lots then you need to be a bit more dedicated
samoa
Super Contributor
I am also following this thread.Obvious Werner is looking for a pattern in the price fluctuation during the day.I have picked up that for instance PSG tends to be negative in the morning becoming positive after lunch.Maybe nervousness?
orange68
Super Contributor
i dont know if this will help but open an iron fx demo forex account they offer a fantastic mt4 platform and crucially they offer tons of us n uk shares which can be used and viewed in any time frame.... how far back they go i dont know for each but u certainly can see intraday prices by changing the time frame
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Exactly! that's what I am after! I have an idea actually but need to see if it makes any sense at all. It's a random theory very similar to the open low and close high, but I want to run some statistical analysis on 1 year or so on shares to see if one can find a specific time when to buy and sell on average (daily) that would make a high probability of making profits if one were to buy CFDs in the share. But for this i need at least 1 year worth of intraday data, it doesn't have to be live at all, i can get the data a day late or whatever, but just need a lot of it.
samoa
Super Contributor
You will definitely pick up a pattern.But it will be unreliable.Every day is unique.If you have two pigs weighing 1kg and 99kg respectively a average pig of 50kg's remains a dream because it just does not exist.Nevertheless it is worthwhile to investigate because you wont get the answer to your question but you will get n answer to a question you have not ask (yet).
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I have some tricks i didn't mention that might make it work actually! but that remains to be seen with detailed analysis. One needs to add some other angles and exclusion controls to buy orders etc.
suki
Super Contributor
What are the top 10 trading softwares out there? except for Easy Trader.
samoa
Super Contributor
Have a look at PSG intraday price graph.