Community

Share knowledge. Find answers. Ask questions.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Intraday prices

Super Contributor
I want to run some experiments on a few shares that require intraday prices (open, close, high, time of the high, low and time of the low) - do you know if one can get this data for free somewhere? I don't want to pay a fortune to play around in excel a bit...
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Not applicable
If you openend an account with a different broker that provided IRESS or Protrader you get a couple of days free data.
You wont get free intraday data on SA stocks spanning a long time period. Only US stocks would be a possibility.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
http://capitalsynergy.com/data.php something to look at which might help. was done for amibroker backtesting so not huge variety
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
very helpful site, but thats EOD data.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
For US stocks, just make use of your TD Ameritrade account/platform
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Thanks guys, Perhaps I should try my experiment on US shares to see if it works. Its such a pity that the SA ones don't give us this stuff for free. Let me check TD Ameritrade!
0 Kudos
IAM
Contributor
Hi Werner, if you only want to do it for a few shares you can get the data from the price history for the share on OST. If you want to do lots then you need to be a bit more dedicated
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
I am also following this thread.Obvious Werner is looking for a pattern in the price fluctuation during the day.I have picked up that for instance PSG tends to be negative in the morning becoming positive after lunch.Maybe nervousness?
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
i dont know if this will help but open an iron fx demo forex account they offer a fantastic mt4 platform and crucially they offer tons of us n uk shares which can be used and viewed in any time frame.... how far back they go i dont know for each but u certainly can see intraday prices by changing the time frame
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Exactly! that's what I am after! I have an idea actually but need to see if it makes any sense at all. It's a random theory very similar to the open low and close high, but I want to run some statistical analysis on 1 year or so on shares to see if one can find a specific time when to buy and sell on average (daily) that would make a high probability of making profits if one were to buy CFDs in the share. But for this i need at least 1 year worth of intraday data, it doesn't have to be live at all, i can get the data a day late or whatever, but just need a lot of it.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
You will definitely pick up a pattern.But it will be unreliable.Every day is unique.If you have two pigs weighing 1kg and 99kg respectively a average pig of 50kg's remains a dream because it just does not exist.Nevertheless it is worthwhile to investigate because you wont get the answer to your question but you will get n answer to a question you have not ask (yet).
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
I have some tricks i didn't mention that might make it work actually! but that remains to be seen with detailed analysis. One needs to add some other angles and exclusion controls to buy orders etc.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
What are the top 10 trading softwares out there? except for Easy Trader.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Have a look at PSG intraday price graph.
0 Kudos