Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Live share prices should be FREE of charge on SBK OST

kwagga
Super Contributor
Why does almost every single supplier out there that provides a online trading platform provide free live pricing while SBK OST still charge for the "privilege" of live price quotes (even if it's capped) ? It's proof of an old legacy and archaic system. PSGOnline, Sanlam Itrade, IG and other trading platforms like Swordfish (DWT Securities) and I'm sure plenty of others provide this service free of charge. I'm slowly but surely considering moving my account to a provider that charge less and provide more bang for buck than SBK OST. If this bugs you as well, please lodge a complaint in this thread. (PS Easy trader is not an excuse because SBK OST charge extra for that service as well.)
28 REPLIES 28
Russ
Super Contributor
I agree. Live price quotes should be free.
samoa
Super Contributor
Luckily I have deleted my post before posting it.It boils down to something like: If you don't get for free what you want for free, then go burn a tyre.If it is major, burn a bus.
Galuc
Super Contributor
Yep I agree, it is BS that a premium should be charged for live prices! OST catch a wake up because all you doing is making your competition look more appealing
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
what is the charge for interests sake? I am a bit rusty on these charges. Thanks
Russ
Super Contributor
Sebastiaan
Occasional Contributor
info should be free! think SBK is making enough out of me!!thank you
Sebastiaan
Occasional Contributor
info should be free! think SBK is making enough out of me!!thank you
samoa
Super Contributor
Unlimited live prices on OST: R125.00/m (incl). Anybody have the prices for other platforms?
Harathke
Regular Contributor
Live prices are not free, because the supplier of live prices to everyone charges an arm-and-a-leg for them: the JSE. I suggest you argue with the JSE, not the brokers...
Mr_S
Super Contributor
samoa
Super Contributor
klapka
Super Contributor
All brokers are charged for live prices. So it is a cost passed on to customers whether itemised as with Standard bank or disguised under another heading.
kwagga
Super Contributor
Samoa - Just a reminder that the internet of things have created economies of scale and services people one paid for are now offered for free. The same with live prices. This use to be something retail clients paid for, but in the last couple of years online brokers all started offering this for free as they make enough from transaction fees and other related services to more than cover the cost of live share prices. Just a reminder - you pay a monthly admin fee on this site as well.
kwagga
Super Contributor
So why do you pay a monthly admin fee on SKB OSK ? What is that for on top of paying for live share prices as well ? Honestly - What do SBK pay for live share prices ? If 20 000 customers pay R96 each for live prices every month that is close to R2 mil per month. You think live prices cost SBK R2 mil a month ? BS. They are making a packet from live share prices, and that model is starting to fall out of the bus completely when you compare it with competitors.
samoa
Super Contributor
Maybe we should restart this discussion in order to get on the same page.Am I correct in saying my monthly admin fee for my accounts plus subscription to Easy trader totals R125.00? I have unlimited live prices at no extra charge.
samoa
Super Contributor
Do Sanlam charge 9cents per live price lookup?
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the brokers merely charge what the JSE charges, I know of not one broker who makes a margin on live prices .. so either you pay as you do here, itemised, or you pay elsewhere where it not itemised ..
kwagga
Super Contributor
Sanlam iTrade - R100PM +vat (Includes unlimited live prices) PSG R99 + VAT per month (Includes unlimited live prices)
kwagga
Super Contributor
SBK - R115 per month (Live prices - Limited and then you pay to a max of R96 per month). So if you have a long watch list you refresh regularly, you get screwed.