Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

MTN Dividend

Hali
Super Contributor
I understand that today is the LDT for the MTN dividend.. If I have a CFD long position on MTN, how will it work? Tomorrow will open ex dividend so technically be in a loss and when they pay on the 4th then will square off?
15 REPLIES 15
Rovert
Super Contributor
Basically yes, you will receive 830c per share if you are still holding at close today
Rams
Super Contributor
down more than 8.30
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
Good luck...with CFD you could somehow end up losing so be careful.
Preston
Super Contributor
@Ram , R8.32 divi plus the market is down 1.5% and given MTNÂ’s weighting in the index it makes sense that it is down a bit more than the diviÂ…
Hali
Super Contributor
It seems like its overdone to me..It should be around R135.. Not R126..
Rams
Super Contributor
yes, tell that to the traders trying to skim the dividend with CFDs
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
You can't expect a share that has given you a 5% div (6 months) not to take a big knock. I don't hold it in any form but if I were to have CFDs on this one I wouldn't panic as the dividend would cover the interest for the next 6 months at current levels.
Hali
Super Contributor
We just need some good news on this 1 out of Nigeria and this will fly..in my opinion..
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
MTN down extra on back of more news of out Nigeria saying the NCC can't reduce the fin without a change legislation ..
Eurostar
Contributor
+1 Simon :)
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Y; AND ministerial comment that the $250m dollar good faith payment is an insult (pretty much dispelling all hope of offsetting that against any settlement reached.) AND ministerial calls for the fine to be tripled in light of MTN's behaviour. My take on this is that as soon as (if) they get payment - Nigeria will attack MTN's licence and seek to transfer them to a state buddy. I suspect MTN, who must be acutely aware of this probability and is weighing up the actual capitalised value of her operations in Nigeria vs. the fine. Perhaps she could do a deal to sell the operations (discounted for the fine) to another operator that the state would deem more desirable and try to paint a "free-choice" face on the affair - in the hope of preserving her share value. I know this borders on conspiracy theory - BUT this is AFRICA, worse still, NIGERIA. And I am drawing from the standard playbook. Why on earth would anybody want to trade this thing (let alone be invested it?)
Preston
Super Contributor
1) MTN could take this issue BACK to court (after dropping the case in good faith) and drag this out for many years. 2) Nigeria is destroying its reputation of attracting Foreign Direct Investment. 3) I always see the predators M1 Limited is acquiring shares (1%) in MTN in time of weakness. Only positive is that MTN is earning revenues from Nigeria whilst this saga plays out. MTN is reaping the economic benefit.
Preston
Super Contributor
Sorry Pt 3 should read , I also see.....
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
You've caught me with my cynical cap on. Reputation never worried her in the Delta or with Tiger Brands etc. MTN cannot get her money out of Nigeria without central bank approval due to the currency peg. I direct your attention to TBS, Foshini et al who are decamping. As a parting riposte... just look at the rest of Africa (South Africa included)... worried about reputation... not so much. Wait - just now you will here that they have awarded the MTN licences to Dangote!
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor