Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

MyShares - Whats a realist return?

Bchip
Frequent Contributor
Latest Article

Trying to get the "Talking heads" a bit closer to
reality with this one, as with the rubbish they promise...

Article deals with realistic returns on the ALSI
over the past 100 years.

Enjoy

http://myshares.co.za/wp/2016/09/26/what-is-a-realist-return/
9 REPLIES 9
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
your R160 fee per month ? surely you jest. if you only got R10k return doesn't matter fees killing you .. 0.25% (or even 0.2%) per trade, no minimum, no DWT and no admin fee in a TFSA if all you have is R10k
Bchip
Frequent Contributor
you do know that the R160 is Standard bank right...its no "jest".

And TFSA is limited to R30,000 per annum
So your saying that people shouldnt safe more than R30k per annum?
koos2
Super Contributor
what are those numbers in $ terms? for the past 16/100 years? I dont mind clickbait like yours. ps. Thanks for checking that the sky is indeed blue or not.
koos2
Super Contributor
your recent posts (on the blog) remind me of: hopsin fly
Bchip
Frequent Contributor
Unfortunately I dont have access to the 100 years
The best I can do is point to iShares EZA
its a $ based ETF for SA stocks - its not the top40 but its close.

https://www.ishares.com/us/products/239680/ishares-msci-south-africa-etf#/

The data is from 2003 and you can choose to see with
either including or excluding divs.

Hope that helps.
Bchip
Frequent Contributor
Thanks!
That song really resonates with me, even my trading
systems are built on dont trust what is taught, question it,
and most likely do the opposite :P
koos2
Super Contributor
LOL, I am ocd. I have a spreadsheat named utility_of_$hit bcause of that song, it lists item (car microwave geyser computer)/ number of days i had use of it = cost per day. Did i get anticipated utility for that item?
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure, but that misses the point .. a R10k one off account doesn't work here, your number may be right but it an extreme and bad example ?? my point is don't try disprove data an then use bad data to disprove ..
Bchip
Frequent Contributor
Simon you didnt even check your last comment, the same as your presentation. My data and my calculations are quite transparent and all of it (whether with R 10k or R100k or R 1mil) point to the same conclusion...There is no 17% and costs take a big chunk out of the returns.

Your presentation was poor and unchecked, just like the statements you sling.
As someone in the media who has followers you have an obligation not to suck these people into false statements, you need to be transparent and not simply make big promises and then shrug off any accountability when it doesnt come true.

Whats going to happen 10 years from today when the market didnt come close to 17% and you were spewing today how easy the markets were by "doing it yourself" and just buying ETFs.
What are you going to tell those people when they didnt save enough?
Same thing your told me in the tweets, shrugg off any responsibility and just say "well it was a thumbsuck anyway..."
There are people that are listen to what you say and you owe it to them to make sure your facts are right.
These people rely on guidance from people in the media.

You have become the the "noise" that you always warned people about.