Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Myshares - new posts: Croatia

Bchip
Frequent Contributor
Hi guys, just came back from some R&R in Croatia,
decided to post a blog on it, (travel and economic discussion).

Enjoy

http://myshares.co.za/wp/2016/05/15/country-review-croatia-may16/
4 REPLIES 4
Bchip
Frequent Contributor
Latest Articles/Tweets/Blogs

With so much uncertainty in the air, the saying seems true – the only thing certain in life is death, taxes and Greece will ask for another bailout....

http://myshares.co.za/wp/2016/05/18/email-18-may-2016/
rosszar
Contributor
Interesting to read about your Croatian trip. I have been buying Tower Property (TWR) at R8, they have just bought substantial amount of property there, so was pleased to read you are positive on the country. The CEO of Tower says that property never recovered after the 2007 crash and was still good value. Have you looked at TWR?
Bchip
Frequent Contributor
Hi, sorry only saw the response now.
I havent looked at TWR, my focus has drifted quite a lot
from individual shares. I only tend to focus on countries and indexes.

The manager is right in that Croatia hasnt recovered yet, however except for your major cities. It seems very selective the areas that do well, if they have been buying those areas they will have done well.
The areas being the main areas like Split (with the universities), Zagreb (the capital) and Dubrovnik
This is probably because since 2010 there hasnt been any growth globally. (despite what the markets say)

My gut feeling on it though was Croatia suffers a bit from the same syndrome as our coastal towns. When times are good money hurries in very fast, but when times are tough that money dries up just as fast.
Eventually there will be a cycle again when Europeans hurry there (they already love it as a holiday destination) and when they have excess cash they will buy there again, just like we buy in Margate and Plett.
rosszar
Contributor
Thanks for reply. It is mostly commercial property in the big cities. I like their SA assets and it on almost 12% yield, so I am happy.