Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Newbie>>>HELP PLEASE

Not applicable
Hi everyone, im new to trading Can anyone please advise me as to which shares are the best for the long term? And which can i buy and sell in the short run?
21 REPLIES 21
Plonky
Super Contributor
Hello Everyone.....I have been trading on this platform for 10 years... If you know the answers to the questions above, please let me know as well...
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Not applicable
Not applicable
sorry...i realised DSY is Discovery Apologies
Russ
Super Contributor
Simon what do you think of MRP long term?
suki
Super Contributor
Rams
Super Contributor
Stress free if you new to share trading: for both long and short term....Satrix 40.
TAKR
Contributor
Not a nice answer guys give him some input.....***** what's wrong with some info "shame"......T
TAKR
Contributor
Not a nice answer guys give him some input.....***** what's wrong with some info "shame"......T
Preston
Super Contributor
Wait for the Dischem IPO. This IPO is really going to do a boom shakalaka like no other IPO.
Preston
Super Contributor
Stay away from MTA !!!!!
Not applicable
I have been doing this for a long time, and the only advise I am going to offer right now, is that you have to have your own strategy. Asking the forum for which stocks to buy is not a strategy, it is a roll of the dice. Because you will get different opinions from different people, each with their own strategy. Classic example right here - Preston says stay away from MTA, I say MTA is a buy, There are hundreds of strategies out there - each with their own merits. The thing is, you need to be true to one and stick to it. If you don't do this - you will lose money every single time, because you will let your emotions govern your investment and trading.
Not applicable
geordie1
Super Contributor
I am a long term full time investor that has done this for nearly 20 years-I do not have the right make up to be a trader.read as many books around investing as you can lay your hands on.read the business news every day.invest in companies whose business model you understand and with management you trust.its very like playing monopoly-if you make 6 out of 10 good decisions after you have done your research then you will have a good time and prosper.Hopefully the markets will in general go up as they have done for me for the last 20 years.good luck.
striker
Super Contributor
The best advice I could give would be to wait for the next big market correction. Many sectors of the market are near all time highs-This is the 6th year of the current bull market. If you are looking to be a contrarian investor and looking for value , the resources sector has been pummeled . KIO/EXX must be near all time lows. Even there you may want to wait a while , they could fall further.My personal favorites right now are gold miners ANG, SGL- they too have been hammered over the last few years.
striker
Super Contributor
Correction -AGL not ANG
Preston
Super Contributor
Different strategies works for different markets.Having one strategy and being true to it, means you could be swimming naked when the current tides rolls out.
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
AVI for growth and divs and special divs...But my best advice to u is not to take my advice...
Not applicable
Thanks everyone :)