Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Platinum Shares

Irish
New Contributor
What is the general consensus - I still have these in my portfolio, do I sell ro hold ?
12 REPLIES 12
Not applicable
My stock response to a question like this, is if you have to ask the question to the forum, then you shouldn't be in the position in the first place. It means you didn't have a plan, and asking the general population to formulate one for you is going to give you a variety of answers, each based on their own diverging plans. Some will be contrarian, and will tell you that now is not the time to sell, buy low and sell high. Others, like me, believe in the time value of money, and buy stuff that is increasing in price, and sell stuff that isn't.
Preston
Super Contributor
Irish, why did you initially buy this share?
partridge
Super Contributor
As they say in Ireland "its all hopeless but its not serious" . You really have to start with your objectives and the reason you bought the shares in the first place - if you don't have an objective or cannot think of a reason then the White Knight's advice to Alice will get you there.
Preston
Super Contributor
Irish, unfortunately stumbled at the very first hurdle. Do not stress, we have all been there.
kwagga
Super Contributor
If you hold Lonmin, the get the hell out. Asset managers busy jumping off this burning ship. Just look at the volume today. The company is sold off like it's going to go bust. As for Angloplat, I'd hold on.
geordie1
Super Contributor
I am holding on.I can wait for potential recovery and dividend distributions on the one share I hold-its not a major part of my portfolio so there is no pressure on me to get in or get out-I may buy in if I see the right situation emerge from the doom and gloom-the restructuring going on now could allow a very stripped down efficient operation to evovle
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
what skaaptjop says .. you need a plan ..
my plan is simple, don't own any single commodity producers right now
Disclaimer I hold BIL, SOL & S32 .. have done for decades, mostly disappointing decades
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
lon debt is now more than their market cap an it due next year ?? they need to do rights issue but can't ..
warhippo
Super Contributor
So today headlines Coronation was/is still buying Implats. "total interest in securities held by Coronation now amounts to 20.02% of the issued ordinary share capital of the Company
Not applicable
well, that would put their stake at about R6bn - less than 1% of Coronation's total assets under management.They can afford to write that off even, but the upside - betting on a platinum turnaround, could be huge. I think the probability of a write off is probably higher though -:)
geordie1
Super Contributor
Irish-there appear to be strong views that are along the lines of don't touch them with a barge pole-I can respect that view.I personally think that platinum shares will recover one day and if you are going to invest in them pick a company that has good stuff in the ground and a management team that you are confident can steer them through this considerably challenging storm they find themselves in
Irish
New Contributor
Many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond - much appreciated.