Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Poll: Company research and analysis

Werner_1
Super Contributor
I want to see what people think when it comes to research for long term share acquisitions. This is not for short term trading but to gain insight into the entire systemic buildup of long term holdings? Do any of you guys buy research to gain this understanding that details the industry, market climate and company with their positioning etc? I just wonder what you guys do?
12 REPLIES 12
samoa
Super Contributor
I am in for the longterm.I will look at fundamentals. But final decision is made by gut feel.( def of gut feel = collect all possible info and applied common sense)I do not believe in buy and forget,that is a big no for me. If I don't read often about a share it is highly unlikely that I will invest. No research can predict that what I am interested in.Sasol(energy),mining(Kumba,gold)and PPC are examples.As past positive performance is no indication of future pos.results, the lack of past results is a damn good indication of the future lack thereof. In short: I read.About the share,about its completion,the industry etc.
TAKR
Contributor
Also in for the long haul and I couldnÂ’t have said it better. Gather all the relevant info, then apply common sense, and go with your gut feel. I had it with EOH and BAT now have it with PGR. If itÂ’s in the news for all the right reasons, go with your gut.Greed and fear both emanate in the stomach.......LOL
geordie1
Super Contributor
I use a formula to invest pe 10 and div of 5% but I also research history of company management and try via reading to understand their business model-I have got more right than wrong just>and that has allowed me to survive quite nicely-really glad I took this route 19 years ago but I am still not sure what I am doing-I will get there one day-done quite abit of reading over the years-best and most honest book is the intelligent investor by graham?name might be wrong but its well known
geordie1
Super Contributor
I use a formula to invest pe 10 and div of 5% but I also research history of company management and try via reading to understand their business model-I have got more right than wrong just>and that has allowed me to survive quite nicely-really glad I took this route 19 years ago but I am still not sure what I am doing-I will get there one day-done quite abit of reading over the years-best and most honest book is the intelligent investor by graham?name might be wrong but its well known
Werner_1
Super Contributor
TAKR
Contributor
The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham.
geordie1
Super Contributor
that's it-not an easy read but good insights with an honest approach and less marketing bull***** than a lot of the more modern reads available
Werner_1
Super Contributor
another great one is his book "Securities Analysis" but now that takes a serious investor to read, huge and more difficult than "The Intelligent Investor" but I found it worth the effort!
Rams
Super Contributor
I first research the sector, then the company with fundamentals provided on company financial reports going back at least 10 years looking for "value".Then use the charts for buying at the best pissable price.
Rams
Super Contributor
Yatagan
Frequent Contributor
Rams
Super Contributor