Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Resource shares

Russ
Super Contributor
This rally is almost beyond belief. The question is, is it just a relief rally with short covering, or is it the start of a new bull market in resources? Any thoughts?
30 REPLIES 30
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Guys in shorts definitely getting sunburnt today!! Crazy market, if only one could read it.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
there is no way of knowing if it a bottom or not until after the event, some time after .. a trader just focus on price
kwagga
Super Contributor
This is a relief rally. Bull market in resources ?? - Based on what exactly ? Resources have been oversold for way too long. This is catch up, that's all. ALSI is in a bear market, so be careful what you buy and when you buy it. Day's like today is good for taking profit, nothing more.
Russ
Super Contributor
Sure, but there must come a time when all the bad news is priced in and just a sniff of good news sends the shares up (like maybe no more rate cuts in USA this year). After that momentum does the rest!
Russ
Super Contributor
Rams
Super Contributor
This market has not really sold off nearly as enough for me, i am still waiting for shares like MRP and LHC to bulk up my long term portfolio...
Hali
Super Contributor
Fundamentals in resources remain weak..all the commodity counters remain heavily oversupplied.. A sustainable rally will only come about after we have supply coming offline to balance the demand-supply ratios.. Most of the commodity companies are still pumping like theres no tomorrow. I reckon we need a few big players to close shop in each type of commodity before we see a recovery in prices.. I think if LON was allowed to fold plats would be 1000USD by now..
Hali
Super Contributor
Easier said then done.. If you on the wrong side of this thing you can get destroyed..
kwagga
Super Contributor
RAM's Serious breath problem on the ALSI. If shares like SAB, BTI and NPN starts correcting, then the floodgates will open.
Russ
Super Contributor
But Kwagga, those are industrials. Will they necessarily bring the resources down with them? For a long time resources were in a bear market while the rest of the market was going up. Maybe it will be the opposite now?
Rams
Super Contributor
there is no evidence that this is the resource bottom...but we all have that bias if we own stocks exposed to resource , more so oil.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
then you stop out, but agreed this volatility is hardly tradable and in part why I don't trade equities ..
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an plat at 1000USD leaves the remaining players still under water ..
Hali
Super Contributor
Agreed, but less underwater than currently..The way I see it by saving LON we have now killed IMP AMS and LON..
Hali
Super Contributor
This is a bounce..not a new bull market for resources..Its a nice opportunity to short them
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
The shares always move well in advance - by the time earnings are "obvious" - the rally will already be well underway.
Preston
Super Contributor
Hali, please short only "KIO".
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Anglo American fell 94%. It was trading at 5p on the Pound. Not a bad little crash...
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Anglo American fell 94%. It was trading at 5p on the Pound. Not a bad little crash...