Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SAB stop loss trigger, please help

waitandsee
Occasional Contributor
I want to set a stop loss trigger on my 500 SAB shares to preserve my gains in case of, 1: Bad news from competition authoroties OR 2: sudden rise in Rand exchange rate. I want to set the trigger level at R950 (about 2.5 % below current), and the sell price at R940. Does this make sense? Any comments or advice will be appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Blik
Super Contributor
You can set up a stop loss like that. However, maybe watch Simon Brown's Webinar on stoplosses on Justonelap. A 2.5% gap, from an investment, long term point of view, might be a little tight. But I dont really follow SAB, so cant add any real value.
Rams
Super Contributor
Rams
Super Contributor
your stop loss is your risk amount, so should have been calculated before doing the trade. But lookin at the chart, R900 would have been a good level to have set as stop.
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
On SAB you should be ok with your plan The danger everyone should be aware about is on a slow day the trade could be "bidded" at say R930.....or lower - NOW what - you wanted out and have missed the boat! Give yourself some breathing room with these plans.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
makes perfect sense. SAB only has upside for currency move and cost of money/time .. downside due to currency strength, and deal being canned (highly unlikely but not impossible) ..
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
The other random factor - some buyer might just have a finger slip and matches your stop and this singular action triggers your stop...