Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SBG borrowing shares

Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
Got a call from a Nick at SBG on Monday arvie asking if they could borrow 11 neweuro shares of mine so they could go short on them , and that it would be for 7 days and that I would be paid R700 for the loan .I agreed . He said they would send me and e mail to sign and give authorisation for the deal. I waited and waited and am still waiting...?????Is this normal practice not the come back either way?....
4 REPLIES 4
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
Ok they sent the form today...
Rams
Super Contributor
did you work out if you would have made more by selling your longs and then going short?
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
In '06'07 I held large positions in PAM and ASR and I used to get regular calls to borrow for shorts - the danger, of course, is that you cannot clear your positions if something goes wrong. For me it was a non-starter!
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
They more for long term inv...But they went up in the days between the verbal request to the the e mail received ...maybe now time to short....