Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Solar power

koos2
Super Contributor
Where to sauce a self contained application for a small flat, suggestions welcome.
17 REPLIES 17
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
mushroom or pepper?
klapka
Super Contributor
I was thinking Worcestershire so necessary in a b..... Mary.
Happy
Contributor
Have a look at www . sustainable. Co.za They have all tbe kit plus tney list the prices
Oom_Boom
Frequent Contributor
Will bring tears to your eyes if you consider a full system. LONG payback period.
ant1961
Occasional Contributor
Hi Saw your call for solar kits... the powerstore.co.za saw some comments about payback period. if you take into consideration the inconvenience presently and the increments that are going to arise from price increases over the next couple of years your payback has come down to around 5 years. It used to be in the region of 10 - 15 years. solar is definitely become an option.
koos2
Super Contributor
Thanks for your reply, any idea of initial outlay?
Rams
Super Contributor
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
If there is a chinatown near u go and price theirs.........
AP
Regular Contributor
I start to think different about solar. I do already have a solar geyser (tubes) and it works brilliantly; water hotter than before and my total electricity consumption decreased by slightly more than 40% (i save 90%+ on my geyser heating cost). In terms of solar energy, i was told that the cost for my house would be anywhere between R40,000 and R70,000. This sounds like a lot, but see how much money do we 'write-off' when buying a car. Solar panels actually have payback period and apparently it adds value to your house. Next time you I'll replace my car, i'll look for something R70,000 cheaper and install PV panels. I'm currently considering an option whereby i don't need batteries. In this case i will apply small changes so that i maximize my energy during he day time (e.g. run pool pump during the peak of the day, reduce fridge temp setting during day time so that it needs less energy during evenings, etc.)). In this case i will be able to reduce the capital cost significantly by eliminating batteries. Later on (if load shedding becomes a problem) i may add 1 battery for 1 or 2 lights. (By the way, solar panels much better investment than a generator...)
AP
Regular Contributor
I start to think different about solar. I do already have a solar geyser (tubes) and it works brilliantly; water hotter than before and my total electricity consumption decreased by slightly more than 40% (i save 90%+ on my geyser heating cost). In terms of solar energy, i was told that the cost for my house would be anywhere between R40,000 and R70,000. This sounds like a lot, but see how much money do we 'write-off' when buying a car. Solar panels actually have payback period and apparently it adds value to your house. Next time you I'll replace my car, i'll look for something R70,000 cheaper and install PV panels. I'm currently considering an option whereby i don't need batteries. In this case i will apply small changes so that i maximize my energy during he day time (e.g. run pool pump during the peak of the day, reduce fridge temp setting during day time so that it needs less energy during evenings, etc.)). In this case i will be able to reduce the capital cost significantly by eliminating batteries. Later on (if load shedding becomes a problem) i may add 1 battery for 1 or 2 lights. (By the way, solar panels much better investment than a generator...)
koos2
Super Contributor
generator = bought yesterday battery-less = how?
koos2
Super Contributor
Yea, butt in the immortal words of gi jane : "smd", is all i wanted for x-mas, not any of your odes to madness - for that i shall use drugs.
AP
Regular Contributor
Koos - battery required between sunset and sunrise. If yone ensures that the bulk of energy is used during day time one can potentially cope without batteries meaning that you will need to rely on Eskom in evening. This is relatively short period (e.g. 5 pm to 10 pm) and from an investment point of view this arrangement is likely to give you the highest return on your investment..
Douw
Frequent Contributor
I have mine operational for at least the last 3 years. In my office it switches automatically if the power goes down to power 5 computers and lights. I can then choose to inlude the rest of the house. It is the money worth over and over. Mine is 3kW, 4X 100aH batteries but need more solar panels. At the moment Eskom recharges the batteries when power comes back. Don't wait for financial viability. Go for the convenience.
J12
Frequent Contributor
I'm pretty sure I saw a small kit at Builders Warehouse just for lights. If you have one nearby.
AP
Regular Contributor
The one that is sold in Builder's Warehouse is relatively expensive per kWh it generates. I've got to know this from a professor that's lecturing at one of the Universities that is designing solar systems. They work together with a small company that does the installations. Apparently their are good and poor quality systems on the market (especially batteries, etc.) and one needs to do ones homework well (not just go for the cheapest). Let me know if you want his number.
AP
Regular Contributor
The one that is sold in Builder's Warehouse is relatively expensive per kWh it generates. I've got to know this from a professor that's lecturing at one of the Universities that is designing solar systems. They work together with a small company that does the installations. Apparently their are good and poor quality systems on the market (especially batteries, etc.) and one needs to do ones homework well (not just go for the cheapest). Let me know if you want his number.