Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

TA vs Buy and Hold - Empirical Evidence from an MBA Thesis

Werner_1
Super Contributor
Check this out, its from a predecessor MBA student from my business school - to make it easier for those not interested in research methods and approaches, just read the abstract and conclusion - lets discuss - http://scholar.sun.ac.za/handle/10019.1/8326
12 REPLIES 12
suki
Super Contributor
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Thanks Suki, this is great! nice reading these things!
Werner_1
Super Contributor
SUKI - did you do an MBA at GIBS? if you did, email me - [email protected]
warhippo
Super Contributor
Interesting read. But in lighter note - I read this last week: "Traders rarely die rich, patient investors often do." (At 97, Phil Carret)
Not applicable
now there is a study that is hitting the nail on the head. But a huge amount of open variables there - as the main thing that makes trading vs investing difficult to compare is leverage (trading depends on it to overcome the effect of taxation). I have done an enormous amount of backtesting over years on JSE end of day data. My three conclusions with trading were 1) shorting is not profitable - period. The frequency of significant down moves are insufficient for reliable profits (only discretionary traders can short - meaning fundamental data is required, meaning you can't model it). 2) you have to take profit. Trailing stops are not profitable. 3) anything less than 10% movement in stocks is pure noise - it cannot be reliably traded / modeled. So a 10% stop loss is minimum, meaning a 20% - 30% gain is also the minimum for trading stocks (index futures a different story, because that makes day trading profitable).
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Very interesting! As you know, I have a long term buy and hold strategy, so far it works for me, and I do understand that people are all different and this requires various strategies, so I like to listen to everyone's views and understand their thinking. Your comments make perfect sense! OST should actually make a resource library for such stuff, thesis and research reports relating to trading and investing for the investors to gain access to academic literature and insights in the business. its very powerful!
suki
Super Contributor
there is a wealth of knowledge in the papers published. we just don't read them and appreciate them enough. Werner, my thesis MBA (Finance) was at Wits (WBS) but i read a lot of GIBBS papers too and they helped me in preparing me for the program. However I am considering PhD (Finance) with GIBBS.
koos2
Super Contributor
So, keeping ze timing of this topic in mind, you think sarb is gonna do a preemtive srike on ze fed?
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Thats great! what was your thesis topic? I am currently doing an MBA at USB and my thesis will be/is on behavioural investing. I will share it with you guys once its done... Probably next year this time if all goes according to plan.
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Is there anyone (student or alumni) from UCT GSB on this forum?
Penny_Pincher
Super Contributor
Perhaps they know how to party better. No use dying rich is there?
suki
Super Contributor
My topic was on Index Futures between the JSE and the top 6 Asian markets. Will share it once the university publishes it. anytime from January.