Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

TFSA - Tax Free Savings Account

Nel
Occasional Contributor
I see SBK OST offers various ETF's as investment options. Think it's a great savings tool. I like the BBET40 and maybe an ETF with only property exposure? Any thoughts?
11 REPLIES 11
Nel
Occasional Contributor
Jughead
Contributor
Nel. Is it possible to open an account inside OST for this purpose?
Nel
Occasional Contributor
Yes, go to Instruments - TFSA Enabled Instrument and then follow the prompts
Blik
Super Contributor
Similarly you can open the TFSA on your normal online Bank account, but the same buy and sell regulations for the Auto Share Invest account apply to the TFSA account.
Jughead
Contributor
Thank you. I've opened mine. I suppose the best investment in TFSA would be in high dividend yield instruments in order to save divi taxes?
Blik
Super Contributor
According to SPB's infographic, Div Tax does not apply on the TFSA. I do question whether one would then have to apply for the Div tax amount back from the company, since they would deduct this before paying the dividend????
geordie1
Super Contributor
i think another option worth considering is property shares where distribution is normally taxeable.I would hope that you would not have to apply for any tax back from company as they should be able to recognise that the account is tax excempt and therefore not take tax off.otherwise it would be an admin pain
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
Simon in your blog u say that no direct share trading will be permitted.But further down u say no indivi9dual share can be more than 10% of your TFSA..Is that 10% of R500,000 or R2500 per month or R30000 per year?..And does it mean you can buy shares but not trade them but must hold them for a specified period?...Im a bit confussed ..Thanx in advance.
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
I was thinking of taking 5 shares and investing R6k in each and leaving for the year or 5 years .Eg AGL, SOL, BTI,APN and Dsy or CApitec...Thoughts please.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you can't buy individual shares .. but you can buy ETFs and structured products .. Former can exceed the 10% limit, later can not
geordie1
Super Contributor
thanks for info.I presume there are etf s that are only invested in property?my thinking is that these types of investments have had excellent capital growth and their distributions have generally been above bank deposits-to avoid tax on these distributions and the potential capital growth seems to me to maximising the potential of this offering.anyone see fault in my thinking