Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Tax Accountant

Not applicable
My tax accountant wants to charge me an extra R500 to do my tax now because I am trading shares and CFD's. I find this strange as the Tax statements provided by the system seem to do all the calculations for you, and he just needs to know where to put the totals in the SARS forms Right? Is this normal, or should I find another Tax Accountant?
8 REPLIES 8
partridge
Super Contributor
What might be helpful for you to do is to think about the question you have asked - and this is a serious point. Firstly what you are paying for is not just an amanuensis or a clerical input.What you paying for is the professional responsibility that this person undertakes on your behalf - and with that goes accountability. And accountability means liability.So do yourself a favour - pay the ( modest) fee!
warhippo
Super Contributor
Agree, just pay the man. Is a small fee to sleep well at night knowing you have a professional looking after your tax affairs.
AJ_
Contributor
R500 sounds very cheap. what is his professional qualification? Pay peanuts and you get monkeys doing your taxes, or pay a premium and get a CA to render a professional service.
partridge
Super Contributor
While fees are an indicator of "ability to think and act professionally" and the all important other side of the coin "Can this person underwrite my claim in the event of there being one" ( do they carry prof indemnity? - the key question is always "ability to pay" - so "George one man band" might be cheaper but there is a reason he is cheap! Thanks for the question!
Rams
Super Contributor
Ask yourself, can the tax guy get you back more than R500 in tax savings, maybe ask him
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
The real question is: can the professional assist you to pay nothing which is not due - and keep you out of trouble when the tax man start asking questions during an audit?
caville
New Contributor
betaal die man sy R500.00 en hy moet dan die navrae of oudit hanteer -sorg net dat hy alle werklike syfers het dan is jy o k - jy het seker nog nie by n belasting kantoor gaan wag om jou bewyse te gaan ingee of selfs as jy alles moet self instuur is n onaangename proses JH
caville
New Contributor
betaal die man sy R500.00 en hy moet dan die navrae of oudit hanteer -sorg net dat hy alle werklike syfers het dan is jy o k - jy het seker nog nie by n belasting kantoor gaan wag om jou bewyse te gaan ingee of selfs as jy alles moet self instuur is n onaangename proses JH