Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Tax free investment

Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
So now weinvested our R30k for this last year and made a bit of Randellas extra, and next year 1 March 2016 we invest a further R30. Right. The profit from last year can be reinvested tax free as well? Very stooped when it comes to Tax .
11 REPLIES 11
Blik
Super Contributor
As I understand it, everything in your TFSA account is tax free. You don't pay CGT on gains, and you don't income tax on your buy/sell gains and there is no dividend tax either....
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
Thanx muchly Blik
kwagga
Super Contributor
Completely tax free. All proceeds, dividends excluded from CGT and income tax. But if you withdraw R1 from this account, that's the end of it.
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
Oh! Wow thank u largely.........
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
U mean it must run for 15 years before we withdraw any of it?.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you can withdraw immediately, but life time limit does not replace so you reduce impact of tax free
partridge
Super Contributor
This needs to be clarified(."... if you withdraw R1 from it.." ) The impression is possibly being created that a withdrawal taints the balance remaining in the TFSA - this is not so. ( IT IS ONLY) the amount withdrawn cannot be "replaced" and enjoy the benefits of no taxes of any kind - which brings me to the next point - the balances in the accounts at the time of your death are liable to estate duty. (And in case you were a little rusty on recent tax events be sure that the rate will in due course be higher than the present 20% - although the intention is to lift the threshold...) Oh and there is no minimum period of investment- where did you get 15 years?
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
I was under the impression that we were limited to #)k per year for up to R450 or R500k? total investment.???
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
ie R30k per year
Blik
Super Contributor
My current understanding, for your Tax Free Account, is that you are limited to R30K per year, and a current lifetime total of R500k. So if you invested your 30K every year you would add the last 20K in your 17th year. If you take out any amount, the amount you take out comes out of your lifetime allowance 500K limit. Assuming the rules dont change that is. Thats my understanding of it.
Yatagan
Frequent Contributor
No, I don't think so. If, say, you had R20k of profits by year 5 and you withdraw that, it does not change your lifetime R500k contribution limit at all (you just lose the compounding interest benefit of the R20k).