Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Trading Shares vs CFD

Eurostar
Contributor
I would like to get some views on persons that trade shares vs CFDs. I would like too have a longterm portfolio, then a portfolio for short term trades on shares. I do not like CFDS as i feel its too risky for my appetite, at least if i get it wrong with a share, i can just hold on too it long term.
14 REPLIES 14
Galuc
Super Contributor
The joys of CFD is that there is no time value and you can hold "forever" and since it is geared a tickle turns into an orgasm and a scratch turns into a PK
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
this statement is a road to ruin ==>> at least if i get it wrong with a share, i can just hold on too it long term
Russ
Super Contributor
With CFD's you are borrowing the money so you pay interest on it. So if your share is not moving up you are losing money.
Eurostar
Contributor
I suppose so Simon cos the odds are you will eventually end up with a basket of long term shares that you need too hold on too.. Gotta look at those CFD's then ...
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
CFD ... unless you are brave or lucky you will MOST likely get closed out (because you need a stop loss for safety) before you make any real money. Good luck though....
Rams
Super Contributor
Its all about strategy, you must have a basket of shares, CFDs....so you can can always get rid of the losers, and the winners will shore up the portfolio even if you take a loss on a share. If you have BIL in your trading portfolio, you may have to consider this depending on your strategy...
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
worse, it a basket of long-term duds ..
Rams
Super Contributor
well, it matters not if it shares or CFDs, you need to sell losers, and buy winners, so you dont have a basket of duds...so if you having trouble choosing only duds, just buy and sell the index, like your lazy system.
Eurostar
Contributor
I have had some luck of late trading shares and i dont mean just any ones, decent companies that i wouldn't mind holding onto for the long term. I feel more at ease too sink 100k into a share too make 5 % return but with CFD's i seem too always mess up and i don't like buying large quantities. I suppose i need too look at my strategy and learn a bit more about CFD's...
Russ
Super Contributor
The brokerage for cfds is much less than for shares, especially for bigger amounts.So if trading short term I think cfds are better (flat rate of R57 regardless of the amount).
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
and 0.35% of underlying value
Russ
Super Contributor
The "market maker spread rate"?
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Not applicable
and 9% interest on the full exposure - everyone seems to forget this little item